3 Phase Connection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dibs-h

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have even an idea what one could expect to pay for a 3 phase connection?

Assuming that the trenchwork was already done, ducting laid and all YEDL (or whoever) would have to do is joint it in the path outside, supply around 20m of cable (or I could if relevant) and the cutout.

3 Phase runs right past the drive entrance and as work progresses, I would hate to finish the garage\workshop and lay a new drive only to find out that a 3 phase connection was relatively cheap.

The last time I inquired I had various quotes from £3000 to £7000 and you could nearly touch the supply line from our premises.

Incidentally a friend of mine wanted 3 phase and was refused supply to a private residential address on health & safety grounds.

The last time I applied for a 3ph supply it was for a small industrial unit. The electricity board had many hoops to jump through. They wanted to know what the exact loads would be and the power factor of the loads to ensure that the supply remained sufficiently in balance.

In short they needed the full electrical design for the building before they would even consider the supply. Then it was the usual cable routes, meter location, distribution board connections etc. All had to be pre installed and tested before hand.

We had to carry out all the work to satisfy the electricity company before we could get the quote for the connection. This made things a little heated between us and the client as we couldn't say how much the supply would be in advance of the work for him to decide if he could afford it or find a cheaper alternative with a 3ph converter.

It got done in the end and the client ended up with a power factor meter which he had to keep balanced to keep the bills reasonable.

I've been tempted to use the 'conversion' of my house to flats to get 3ph installed the easy way but I don't need 3ph enough to make it worth while.

I got in touch with YEDL (the distribution company) yesterday and they will supply a domestic premises (well the detached garage\workshop). I'm looking at around £1200-£1500 for the digging in the pavement and the jointing.

The network diagram (and the patching in the pavement) shows the cables going about 12" past the end of our drive in the pavement.

They've asked for a site plan and a more detailed one showing buildings and preferred meter location, along with the load required and details of welders and motors on certain machines. I think I may have to guestimate these with what may be likely to get purchased sometime in the future and see what the quote comes back at.

That probably won't include the cable - if they supply it or the cutout.

In all likelihood probably do the trench and ducting (with some rope in it to pull the cable thru) and then close it up, unless it's ridiculously cheap. That way it won't mean digging up the drive again. Unless one can't do that - in which case it may be cobblers and install it from the get go (unless it's stupid money).

Have no idea what the house is on - will check that this evening.

Back