UKWS Comp Bowl for comment / critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am interested in comment and constructive criticism on the bowl I turned recently for the monthly comp.

I was inspired by the late Bert Marsh for this piece - I was fortunate to meet him as a brand new 'newbie' at an AWGB seminar and he spent a good 15 mins talking to me about pieces in the instant gallery and what would be good to try to develop skills when starting out - a true gentleman who will be missed.

So here it is - Masur Birch - approx 9" diam - 5" tall and base 1 1/2" dia - wall thickness a pretty even 3 to 4mm Finished in shellac and buffed.

Thanks for any comment - Simon

Attachments

• CIMG1305.JPG
    CIMG1305.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 744
  • CIMG1321.JPG
    CIMG1321.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 744
  • CIMG1326.JPG
    CIMG1326.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 744
  • CIMG1327.JPG
    CIMG1327.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 744
Good shape and well finished, you should be very pleased with that. No criticism from me. =D>

You are lucky to have found such a nice big piece of Masur Birch, I've been looking out for some for ages without success.

Ah the feeling of satisfaction when a piece like this turns out as you want it to.
One of these days!!
I'm sure the man who was the inspiration would have been pleased well done
REgards Boysie

It is an excellent bowl that you can sell all day long and would look good in any gallery. The only thing that lets it down is the standard of photography. It needs more tone, contrast, definition and taken from a more perspective elevation to give it the wow factor and so the shape and design stand out more.

I think it is a good looking bowl

The natural edge sets it off a treat.

Not come across the wood myself so have it little to go on. This will sound rude - but it's not meant to be - but it looks like it is made of cork!, particularly the view down inside.

My wife's highest accolade goes to it - she would give it house room!

myturn":9vzggttu said:
You are lucky to have found such a nice big piece of Masur Birch, I've been looking out for some for ages without success.

When I was at Yandles for the spring show they had quite a selection of Masur Birch, not exactly a cheap wood, but I think they had some decent sizes.

Paul.

Good choice of shape to display the burr Simon, personally I would not have made the foot as prominent as it appears in the side view, although I guess in reality it looks different when viewed in natural perspective sat on it.

Personal preference would have been for the upper concave flare radius to be a little smaller to match that of the lower convex curve so that the rim appeared a little nearer horizontal. The upper curve looks a little too flat to me.

Would not be bothered either way though if I'd managed to produce it, I rarely consider such things when I spin a bit of wood and I doubt many of my pieces meet any of the classic forms.
CIMG1327[1].JPG

Attachments

• CIMG1327[1].JPG
    CIMG1327[1].JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 628

Latest posts

Back