Cellulose sealer and lacquer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Can I use cellulose sanding sealer or melamine lacquer (cellulose base) over an oil coat (probably tung or blo) without needing to seal the oil coat with something else first?

Same question if I put a coat of shellac on, can I go straight to melamine lacquer?

Why would you want to put oil or shellac under lacquer in the first place? If you want a high gloss oil finish, use danish or finishing oil and build up as many coats as you want to obtain the level of shine you want, cutting back each coat after it has dried.

You're probably better off using cellulose sanding sealer under melamine lacquer.

I am using it as a finish for pens.

So far, I have used sealer then lacquer. I now have some timbers which would benefit from something to enhance the grain- rippled black walnut and curly maple.

Do you use your sealer thinned or straight from the tin? If you use it thinned, wipe on, wipe off its usually enough to pop the grain. Been a while since I did it though so hope my memory serves. edit: after sanding to the nth degree with micro mesh pads.

marcros":cm02tj93 said:
I am using it as a finish for pens.

So far, I have used sealer then lacquer. I now have some timbers which would benefit from something to enhance the grain- rippled black walnut and curly maple.

Microcrystalline wax gets a good write up as a finish for pens http://www.axminster.co.uk/chestnut-mic ... wax-951143
I've never used it, but then again I don't turn pens - but I know a man that does on both counts.

Brian

nev":3sp8aq1i said:
Do you use your sealer thinned or straight from the tin? If you use it thinned, wipe on, wipe off its usually enough to pop the grain. Been a while since I did it though so hope my memory serves. edit: after sanding to the nth degree with micro mesh pads.

I put a splash of thinners in it. I will experiment though- if this would do it there would be no issue of compatibility, nor having to let oil dry for a long time.

I would go with Paul's suggestion with the oil then if a higher gloss is required once it has dried fully and cured then it can be buffed.

Sander sealer with melamine lacquer is now being used by the pen turners over the old CA finish and many have found it good wearing again for a high gloss when fully cured a buff with a buffing system can bring a good shine. Waxes are not really ideal for pens as they tend to wear off quickly

Back