This months F&C - better?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironballs

Established Member
Reaction score
We've had quite a bit of comment on the mags recently and the general consensus is that F&C has been sliding a bit, me included and I'm a subscriber.

Well I think this month represents an upturn, the new Ed has got a few issues under his belt and is beginning to exert his influence. The articles had a bit more variety and depth and the feature on Krenov was good; I've not read too much Krenov and it was interesting to see some balance to the article, with a couple of comments about his rigidity and Robert Ingham in particular chucking in a few negative comments - it does seem a bit like building the same cabinet on legs over and over again!

Looking forward to the next issue and seeing if the Ed can keep improving things

I had a 12month subscription, and didn't bother renewing it when it ran out in June.

Doubt i'll bother taking it up again, unless the consensus is that it is much better than it was.

Cheers

Karl

I picked up a copy of F/C at Smiths, but it appears it was issue 160 (last Month's). Or this month? I think they appear about 6 weeks ahead of the month.

There's a nice bench in there, which with mods would suit my shop. Now, I think I 'll have a look for issue 161, to check what Ingham has to say about Krenov.

I saw a copy of B/W in there too on Friday. If it's still there tomorrow, would you like me to grab it for you IronB? Let me know what number you seek!
:lol:

Regards
John

:)

Yep I thought it was a little improved. Tho I never completely went off it. F&C is the only mag that really pays a lot of attention to modern woodworking. I'd like to see F&C concentrate more on pro\highly skilled\complex woodworking. I hope it doesn't do what GWW, et al are doing and try to please everyone.

wizer":2oktgucj said:
I'd like to see F&C concentrate more on pro\highly skilled\complex woodworking. I hope it doesn't do what GWW, et al are doing and try to please everyone.

That's the danger Tom. I liked the wooden plane making article in this months F&C and had a passing interest in one or two other bits, but to devote pages and pages to edge lipping (including iron-on), screwdrivers, simple joints and colouring, isn't what I want in a more serious mag' and is why I stopped subscribing to the rest over the years (except BW), and is the reason I haven't agonised much over dropping F&C now too.

It isn't just the one issue, it's been heading that way for a while, but then maybe I'm just overly fussy and hard to please :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

We'll see how it develops over the coming months. Benchwayze, thanks for the kind offer, I'll try a couple of other local places but if it's still a bust I'll get in touch

I know what you mean Paul. What I'd like to see is F&C concentrate on higher skill levels. i.e not giving us really basic (even condescending) articles about what a mortise and tenon is. But instead covering what's happening in the pro furniture making workshops (not factories). Articles on complex joinery and techniques would be inspirational to those of us not quite ( ;) ) there yet. I find it frustrating reading about an absolutely stunning piece on one page and then on the next being told how to use danish oil :x

BWW Seems to have the serious hobby market sown up. Plenty of though provoking articles in there. I'd like F&C stop trying to cover everything, achieving very little.

The problem is that the editor(s) have done a survey of what the readership wants to see in the mag...and time and again it's always 'techniques', hence the surfeit of techniquey type articles. I have, on severial occasions, pointed out to various ed's over the dogn'bone that there are plenty of other mags on the shelves at WHS that do perzactly that...techniques.
F&C shouldn't be one of 'em but ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) as people that read F&C ought to know pretty much most of what there is to know about so called 'techniques'
I'll give Derek a shout tomorrow and ask him to look at this thread - Rob

I agree Rob.

The very fact that it is published by the Guild of Master Craftsmen should mean that it is a magazine aimed at professional furrniture and cabinet makers.

I would like to see more profiles of other makers and their workshops, more emphasis on design innovation, and articles on running a cabinetmaking business. I am sure that these things would equally be of interest to serious hobbyists.

What I don't need are detailed descriptions and plans of how Kevin 'The Pirate' Ley made yet another of his godawful lumps of junk, or pieces on how to make a mortice and tenon when all self-respecting pros would simply slip in a dom!

I haven't read a copy since my subscription lapsed a couple of years ago; I would however like a good reason to resubscribe.

Brad

There were some glowing tributes to the late Paul Richardson in a recent issue. Maybe they should look back over what he did when he was running the show and then they might begin to see why it was once a really good magazine and why people bought it :-k

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I also find many of the articles woefully brief and incredibly dumbed down.

It looks like the message is clear here. F&C should be a mag aimed at pro's. However, I rather feel they've probably done the sums and worked out the hobby market is much (maybe just a bit) more profitable. Which is a bloody shame.

I do agree with many of the comments in this thread but the problem is that the "pro" market is just not big enough to support the magazine. It's a difficult trick to keep the pro level people (whether real pros or advanced amateurs) on board and at the same time as attract other readers. These other rreaders must I think be those who aspire to the highest standards. I don't know the answer but I am sure it is not by dumbing down - something that the management seem, at last, to have recognised. Clearly it can be done, otherwise the mag would not have survived this long.

Jim

I think it's surviving because the hobby market seems to be on the steady incline. As I say, they are hoping for a share of the amateur market, whilst trying to keep their pro/intermediate custom.

It's also one of turnover per month. When most of the readership want techniques and your only turning over 6 or 7kish copies per month...what do you do?
Give the reading public, what ever sort of woodie they are, what they want to see.
It's not the same situation as the USofA where FW has a vastly bigger turnover. It's a very difficult juggling act that the ed(s) have to do and some compromises have to made somewhere - Rob

Don't the GMC also publish another magazine (it may be quarterly?) aimed at providing woodworking projects and plans for beginners? Surely, that would be a better place for all these dumbed-down articles.

OPJ":3lp17fo9 said:
Don't the GMC also publish another magazine (it may be quarterly?) aimed at providing woodworking projects and plans for beginners? Surely, that would be a better place for all these dumbed-down articles.

....and the review of a hot glue gun and screwdrivers :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

And last month's MDF.................And Alan Holthams unsafe working practices. Subscription about to lapse for me.

BradNaylor":13sdl4no said:
The very fact that it is published by the Guild of Master Craftsmen should mean that it is a magazine aimed at professional furrniture and cabinet makers.

What does the Guild of Master Craftsmen actually mean? Who set the guild up and who determines entry? Who determines who is a master craftsman and who is not?

Guilds historically had a long and complicated entry requirement, what is the entry requirement these days?

What does the guild mark mean for a magazine?

frugal":2qkowk10 said:
BradNaylor":2qkowk10 said:

What does the Guild of Master Craftsmen actually mean? Who set the guild up and who determines entry? Who determines who is a master craftsman and who is not?

Guilds historically had a long and complicated entry requirement, what is the entry requirement these days?

What does the guild mark mean for a magazine?

Not a lot :wink: - Rob

Back