The Bones - for critique please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gitface

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I've called these The Bones as when I was staining them they looked like I'd just got them from the Butcher.

Bone 1:
The_Bone1.jpg

Bone 2:
The_Bone2.jpg

Pair together:
The_Bone_pair.jpg

These are made from Poplar and stand 12" high, they were meant to be identical but I think I got carried away on the second one so the bottom slope was a bit steeper.

The stain for this was a bit of an experiment as I'd returned the dye's back to my mate. So I was sat thinking was else stains, then remembered I'd got some printer ink refill bottle lying around, so though why not give it a try.

The stain was air brush on with the work spinning and applied so there was a deep stain/colour at the top and bottom.

The ink was diluted 1ml of ink to 9ml of water. The Second is a bit deeper in colour as I didn't dilute the ink a much as I only need a little.

Thanks

Mark.....

HI Mark

Again you have picked out issues with the two not being identical. For me the flow of such a subtle line needs to be flowing with no obvious change in flow/line as here on the left toward the bottom line that flows out.

However. You are experimenting with colour/printer ink etc which is a good way to find new ideas and techniques.

As I said in another of your pieces. Just spend time observing and when you see something you like use it.

It is good to get critique for work but remember that critique is mainly based on others tastes etc so can be very subjective.

Just keep experimenting and make what you want to and what makes you happy.

Hi Mark
Been a busy little bee lately haven`t we :lol: I do admire your experimenting and so what if the pieces we (and I include myself) make are not to everyone`s taste beauty is in the eye..... :lol:
Keep it up.
regards
Steve

Hi Mark.

Here is a shape you might like to try it conforms to all the thirds rule.
If you are not sure what the thirds rule is i am sure Mark Sanger will be pleased to tell you.
The top of this one is two thirds the size of the base.The neck is one third the size of the base and is two thirds from the bottom or one third from the top.
I think you will agree these dimensions work.

DSC01509.jpg

Hi Mark, its a real shame how some of the posts have been going on your thread. I really hope you are not put off from putting up pictures of your work by the attitude of others. Feedback good or bad will help you improve and the majority of the time helpful,non discouraging feedback is what you will recieve(giving pointers in the right direction),so please keep posting your work with pride 8)

Your two pieces here are lacking in flow and that is the only problem I can see with them. To me one of the biggest parts of turning is getting a curve to flow from top to bottom of the piece,the steepness of the curve obviously changes steep to shallow to steep etc but in a flowing curve you can't put your finger on the exact point it changes(at least thats how I see it). Keep practising and you will get it,quickly too. Every piece you make trains your brain a little bit more. Your idea here was a good one,very stylish, my best advice would be have another go at this design,concentrating on that curve.

JT

Hi Mark,

You really need to give these another try m8, your so close to creating two lovely candle sticks.

When you've got the form sorted, and you will, try and blend the red from the base up to about half way and then faid it out into the natural wood, I bet they will look top notch.

Nice candles in the top and your sorted.

George has given you a really nice pic of how this sort of form can look.

Keep on going m8.

Thanks for the helpful comments all.

I got the idea from these from a TV program I was watching they were in the background on a fire place and I thought it would be good practise for my quest to succeeded in copy turning :)

George: I am aware of the thirds rule as I often reminded people about it regarding Photography and Graphic Design, both subject that I tech use use in that medium. I'll have to remember to apply it to my turning.

Mark.........

modedit:

As you may well notice I have now removed several off topic posts from this thread.
Mark does not need to have his request for guidance spoilt by members off topic comments.

Back