Summer Challenge. The results are in.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
The results for the Summer Challenge are now in and are made up as follows.

My thanks to Richard Findley, judging the entries must have been a difficult task.
Judge's Scores and comments.

1st- Bobblezard - I liked the simplicity of this bowl. A pure, clean shape, well executed and finished to show off the wood well. 10 points.

2nd- KimG - While I'm not really of fan of this gnarly work, I take my hat off to Kim for the work put in here. He has not only battled with what would have been a tough bit of wood, but has also achieved an excellent shape and finish. Great contrast between the gloss of the bowl and the dry and gnarled bark. 8 points

3rd- Dlaboy - Another simple shape that allows the wood to do the talking. Well made and finished as usual. 6 points

4th- Dedee - This platter is simple, but turnings that appear simple are often the hardest to pull off well, and for someone with only a years experience to achieve this level of work shows great promise. Well done. 4 points

5th- SteadyEddie - This shape shows off the stunning grain of the rippled Ash, with neatly turned interior and the challenging rolled rim. 2 points.

Entrants' Scores

( Just to explain this, contestants vote for their top 3 to which I allocate 3 ‘votes’ for first, 2 ‘votes’ for second and 1 ‘vote’ for third – rocket science eh ? )
Votes were received from 11 of the entrants totalled as follows
1st Kimg with 22 votes = 5 points
Joint 2nd Bobblezard and Dalboy with 11 votes = 4 points each
4th Dedee with 5 votes = 2 points
Joint 5th Random Orbit Bob and Woodmonkey with 4 votes. = 1 point each.

I would like to thank all the entrants for taking part, it is good to see the numbers climbing up again and so many new names. I thought the general quality of the entries was outstanding.

So ….
Overall Scores
1st place Bobblezard with 14 points
bobblezard.jpg

2nd place KimG with 13 points
KimG.jpg

3rd place Dalboy with 10 points
Dalboy.jpg

4th place Dedee with 6 points
dedee.jpg

5th place Steadyeddie with 2 points.
Steadyeddie.jpg

Congratulations to you all.

Attachments

• bobblezard.jpg
    bobblezard.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 2,518
  • KimG.jpg
    KimG.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 2,518
  • Dalboy.jpg
    Dalboy.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 2,518
  • dedee.jpg
    dedee.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 2,518
  • Steadyeddie.jpg
    Steadyeddie.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,518
Wow. Many thanks to Graham and to Richard. Never thought I could manage to make the top 4.

Well done everyone, didn't envy the judges on this one as I thought all the entries looked great. Nice to see so many entries this time. Thanks to Graham and Paul for organising/ judging.

Well done to every one who took part and especially to Bobblezard for achieving a first.

I must confess to not having voted I got carried away with other things and missed the deadline for voting, I know it would not have been easy and there were a couple I expected to be above mine.

Not an easy task for Richard

Well done Bobblezard, a very nice bowl. Thanks to Richard for the encouraging comment too, some excellent entries altogether and really good to see so many having a go. Very pleasing to top the entrants vote choice too.

Woodmonkey":1cs4ny6z said:
Well done everyone, didn't envy the judges on this one as I thought all the entries looked great. Nice to see so many entries this time. Thanks to Graham and Paul for organising/ judging.

Errm, it was Richard this time #-o

Wow... Am well chuffed, and very surprised. I thought there were lots of cracking entries and KimG's bowl has really inspired me.
Just shown this to my other half who thinks I'm a complete geek but I don't care :-D Thank you

gregmcateer":95qkk3i0 said:
Woodmonkey":95qkk3i0 said:

Errm, it was Richard this time #-o

Doh! Apologies Richard.

Hi all. To get amongst the points (just) after a long time away is great. Well done to all the entrants and point scorers. Some really nice work on show. Thanks to Graham and Richard for their time and effort.

Dave

Back