Suitable grease for sliding mouth of hand plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sideways

UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I'm just checking out a new axminster 62 1/2 low angle jack.
These have a sliding section to the front sole.
Is there any recommended grease to lube the interior metal - metal surfaces ?
I wiped off what was there, it seemed a little "thin".
I'm guessing that grease is less likely to migrate than oil, silicon food safe grease isn't a good idea, and i'm probably fine with a light smear of something meant for car wheel bearings and the like ?
Thanks in advance :)

Just use the same candle end that you already use to scribble on the bottom of the plane.

Clean the parts and then wax them with paste wax etc, you only need to keep the surface protected not lubricated.

Pete

Using oil or grease to lubricate the sliding mouth section of LA jacks (or any other adjustable mouth plane, come to that) is almost certain to result in a nasty, sticky mess of lubricant and wood dust clogging things up. Best to either leave unlubricated (the mating surfaces are both cast iron, so the free graphite in the metal acts as a lubricant), or use a dry lube of some sort. Andy's suggestion of candle wax would be fine, as would soft pencil (also graphite), or one of the fancy engineering dry lubricants, if you happen to have any to hand.

Most people don't bother, though. It's not a sliding surface, just an occasional adjustment, so it doesn't really need lube at all.

Back