Source for Filters for Clear Vue/Pentz type dust systems..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ondablade

Established Member
Reaction score
Just FYI. As some of you may already know I'm building a Bill Pentz cyclone type chip and dust collection system for my workshop.

This may be old hat to some of you, but i was struggling to source the ASHRAE 52.2 99.99% efficient @ 0.3 micron nanofibre filters made by Wynn in the US that are referred to on his website http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm, and if not there on the Clear Vue site http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/ (link to Wynn Filter from the ordering page)

Shipping from the US is prohibitively expensive, as airfreight on light but high volume stuff like these cartridges is charged at an equivalent kgs/cubic metre (volumetric weight) rate that meant the cost was coming out at something well over $450.

I was meanwhile getting crazy quotes for some of the alternative makers listed on the above sites - and very little interest.

Finally i got to Donaldson Filtration Solutions http://www.emea.donaldson.com/en/index.html

This is the UK operation: Donaldson Filtration (GB) Limited, Humberstone Lane, Thurmaston, Leicester, LE4 8HP. Registered number: 3914641, Registered office: Wilberforce Court, High Street, Hull, HU1 1YJ. Phone: +44 (0) 116 269 6161

They seem to run a system of local sales reps rather than from a central office full of 'customer service' people - which makes a personal contact a possibility. My impression is that they are much more interested in doing business with small users like ourselves than the other makers.

I'm in Ireland so your prices may be a little different, but Donaldson UK and my local rep could not have been more helpful to deal with, and quoted me a price not a lot greater than that in the US.

So game on!

The filters i've been quoted are Part Number 262-5001 UltraWeb Filter Cartridge ( Double Open End) with 21m2 of filter area, or Part Number 262-5002 UltraWeb Filter Cartridge ( Closed One End) with 21m2 of filter area.

They say both are Euro equivalents to the required ASHRAE 52.2 MERV15 specification.

The diameter is the same as the original Pentz ones, but they are a little shorter at 26 inches which it seems is no problem.

They are shipped from their European Distribution Centre in Brugge, Belgium. Payment (Visa accepted) must be made at the time of order. Delivery from Belgium is extra, but what i was quoted was reasonable.

If you're considering going this route they are certainly worth a try, but (while the signs are that they are the correct items) please check out the spec for yourself as i'm no expert. (i'm relying on their having correctly quoted an equivalent) The Euro part nos. are different to those in the US, and consequently don't directly cross reference to those on Bill's or the Clear Vue site.

This forum on the Clear Vue/Pentz systems is a good source of info too: http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Bullentin/index.php There's photos of the filters alone and installed in the gallery section - pictures of the build of a system by a guy named Erik in Belgium.

Hope this helps somebody. (the bloody thing had better work after all this)

ian

PS On a related issue. My thanks to Bob/9fingers for a much appreciated steer towards the 4 kw Omron V1000 series inverter as a means of cost effectively speeding up my fan motor a bit. Local 50hz motors run a bit slower than the 60Hz US item the system was developed around, and i didn't want to chance it as my duct runs are quite long. Another lifesaver, as the other quotes i'd been getting to that point were more than i could afford.

Ta Michael. The Donaldson filter price i was given was about 15% more expensive, plus there is a shipping charge.

Did you get a pleated cylindrical cartridge or a panel filter from your guys?

ian

i got the pleated clyndrical cartridge. Here is a pic of my set up

DSCF6252.jpg

regards,

michael

Back