Racers Box WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Chaps

Spent the weekend in the garage making my cherry box.
I have had the idea for a while and the wood for even longer!
The wood; it is English cherry, quarter sawn and very nice looking.
Ripped on the band saw and hand planed.
DSC_0861_zps089f9033.jpg

DSC_0859_zpsf4440e74.jpg

Some old worm holes in the sapwood.
DSC_0867_zps63b2c364.jpg

The parts were cross cut and shot to length with my Record No4 ½ stay set
DSC_0865_zpsa787d7c5.jpg

I stood them up on the bench to see how it looked.
DSC_0866_zps48561214.jpg

I grooved the sides for the base on the router table, with stopped groves in the sides.
DSC_0868_zps0b91d442.jpg

I wanted to connect it together a little differently, with brass pins made from brazing rod.
I cut the rod to 20mm long lengths then clamped them in the drill press chuck, and with a file rounded one end and polished it with a Scotch Brite pad.
I clamped the sides to a length of 4x4 and with a few more lengths of 4x4 on the drill press as spacers I drilled the holes for the pins.
DSC_0869_zpsbb55fbff.jpg

DSC_0870_zpsd2487565.jpg

I had to incorporate a dovetail in somewhere and it needed a handle to open the lid.
So from some rosewood I made a handle, cut out on the band saw and shaped with a rasp, files and a scraper.
DSC_0877_zpsa6de6b10.jpg

DSC_0880_zpsa8f3dda0.jpg

DSC_0885_zps86ad9a93.jpg

I cut a recess in the underside of the lid with chisels and router plane, glued it in and plained it flush with my home made shoulder plane.
DSC_0887_zpsbeb0f5b3.jpg

DSC_0889_zps4f4b8720.jpg

I cut arches on the bottom of all the sides with the band saw and smoothed them with a spoke shave.
Made a bottom from the thin part of the rip sawn cherry, chamfering the edges to fit the groves, then smoothed all the arises with plane, scraper etc.
I glued and pinned the sides together leaving the base loose.
Here are a couple of bad pictures of the finished box the pins projection was set by using two washers as a depth stop.
A couple of washers are used to centre the lid on its pivot pins.

DSC_0924_zps1c1a0615.jpg

DSC_0925_zpsf1624b63.jpg

The finish is two coats of Danish Oil rubbed down with a Scotch Brite pad then a couple of coats of wax.

No sandpaper was harmed in the construction, every surface was planed or scraped.

I will do some better pictures at the weekend in daylight.

Pete

Thats a nice Box Pete. Loads of character. The handle is nice and suits it well. Good job.

Lovely box. And such quick work. I love the handle.
Did you consider angling the brass pins, alternating the direction of each one relative to its neighbour. You could have invented the 'brass pin dovetail' !
I'm starting to get a little nervous now...

Adam

Hi, Chaps

Thanks, it turned out nice.

Its just 4 bits of wood nailed together so it was quick to make :wink: :lol:

Pete

Hi Pete.

That's a good looking box. I have seen that method of joining the sides to the front and back before (Peter Lloyd uses wooden dowel) and it looks very effective. Bit crafty with the dovetail though. :wink:

Certainly better than "4 bits of wood nailed together". Nice box, well done.

Bob

Racers":387vyzbx said:
Hi, Chaps

Spent the weekend in the garage making my cherry box.
pad.
I clamped the sides to a length of 4x4 and with a few more lengths of 4x4 on the drill press as spacers I drilled the holes for the pins.

DSC_0870_zpsd2487565.jpg

Conclusive proof that you can never have too many clamps!

Did you consider mitre clamps?

http://www.amazon.com/Pony-Corner-Clamp ... B001MB9FAC

BugBear

Hi, BB

They wouldn't work as well as the 4x4, it gave me continuous support and allowed me to drill all the holes, even the ones close to the edge.

Pete

i like the 4x4 idea. cheap, simple and much better than trying to use band clamps on a box, at least the budget ones. I plan to try jonnied's idea too (wouldnt support your drilling though), along with this one and see which i prefer.

Racers":30rfhfbi said:
Hi, BB

They wouldn't work as well as the 4x4, it gave me continuous support and allowed me to drill all the holes, even the ones close to the edge.

Pete

Good reasoning - thanks (ticked) for that.

BugBear

Hi, Chaps

Better Pictures.

DSC_1263_zps8c738731.jpg

DSC_1262_zpsc76fd14f.jpg

Pins closeup

DSC_1234_zpsf16df2a2.jpg

Handle and lid.

DSC_1254_zpsda167a08.jpg

Pete

Hi, Danny

Thanks mate, and thanks for the wood, it must have been years ago you gave it to me, I don't tend to rush things do I.

Pete

It was about 2003 :) I wish I could get another tree of cherry for £100, I still have some too. If you run out let me know :)

Hi, Danny

I guessed at 10 years ago, but I thought I was wrong, tempus fugit!
Its nice wood when its quarter sawn.

Pete

Hi, Devonwoody

Thanks, you should do a box for the next comp, after all you have made a few.

Pete

Latest posts

Back