Pair of tea light holders - for critique please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gitface

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Here are a pair of tea light holders, unsure of the wood but I think its Elm with a bit of Burr and wood worm.

Tea Light 1:
Pebbel_Candle1_2.jpg

and
Pebbel_Candle1_1.jpg

Tea Light 2:
Pebbel_Candle2_2.jpg

and
Pebbel_Candle2_1.jpg

Pair together:
Pebbel_Candle_Pair_top.jpg

And view from bottom:
Pebbel_Candle_Pair_bot.jpg

With these I had the mind set to get them looking alike but not identical to give them a more natural pebble.

I was surprised at how much dust these produced as well as small shaving. The bottoms were finished by holding the piece against my sanding disc mounted on the lathe, giving a natural slight angle to the bottom of each.

The finish was several coats of Teak oil.

Thanks

Mark.....

Simple but nice organic shapes Mark and the matt finish works well. I like those !

Cheers, Paul :D

they look beautiful, do you find the candles are all a similar size? I made a few for the wife out of Yew, and now she as bought a new bag of candles the damn things dont fit... :cry:

Thanks for the comments.

Steve:

The one I picked had a flower shape and fitted quite snug into the hole, but I couldn't find another lying around.

So picking up some different ones and they wouldn't fit.

These ones are a little lose and below the rim.

So I've come to the conclusion that they are not set sizes.

Mark..........

Gitface":195ou15q said:
The one I picked had a flower shape and fitted quite snug into the hole, ....

Try to avoid a snug fit, the less chance of heat transfer the better.

Gitface":195ou15q said:
....So picking up some different ones and they wouldn't fit.These ones are a little lose and below the rim.So I've come to the conclusion that they are not set sizes.Mark..........

If possible get hold of some glass inserts, these will accommodate most commercial small candles and will give you a fixed insertion depth, some candles will be a loose fit but this does not detract from the effect when burning as the glass reflects and projects the flame pattern.

Hi Mark,

Sorry, seem to have missed this post.

These pieces look really good, the beauty of the wood has been allowed to show through. :lol:

Malc :D

Thanks for the comments.

I'll look into the glass insert idea, but the nearest Ikea is a good 30 - 40 minutes drive down the M62 :(

Mark............

I really like the shape and finish of these Mark ,I make quite a few tea light holders especially around Christmas when you can buy festive candles,I buy my glass inserts from Ikea they cost 12p each, they look good and saves burning the holders.
Dave

This shows that even ordinary things like T light holders can be made beautiful. Lovely organic look. Only problem I foresee is that they are begging to be picked up and touched which could prove awkward if lit.

I'd echo Chas's comments re snug fit etc. I have seen T lights char the wood through the aluminium before now so take care and preferably use inserts.

pete

Latest posts

Back