Archive video of rural chest making

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Somewhere, in the last few months, I have watched a video online, which I failed to bookmark. With my memory as patchy as it is, I am struggling to find it.

It was an old archive film, in black and white, from a European country, possibly in the Baltic or Eastern Europe. In it, a woodworker split boards from a log and built a curved top chest, working in the open air. One of the remarkable aspects was that the chest was held together by fitting boards into grooves but the grooves were not made with a plough plane. Instead, the maker used a long handled knife and cut the grooves by pulling it towards him freehand.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I'd like to watch it again!

Looks like a twybil ?

http://www.ashleyilestoolstore.co.uk/green-woodworking/twybil

... used with more than a little skill !

Edited to add: I've been thinking on this, and of course why it works is that he has riven wood, so the grain is parallel to the board and the tool only has to follow the grain. The boards are feather edged (being cleft radially from the billet) , so there is no tongue to cut. Very good ! I like that idea. Perhaps I can try it. Need the tool first though.

Back