Zero clearance insert on a TS200!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pond

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have come to the conclusion that I need a ZCI on my table saw (thanks to Steve Maskery for showing me why on his video).

I presume this will need to be made, as I can find no sign of anywhere to buy one!

The problem with the TS200 is that there is only a 'ledge' to sit the plate on one side of the blade opening. The original plate only sits one side of the blade, so there is no need for support on the other.
If I make a new plate it cannot (from what I can make out) be supported on the outside of the blade, therefore would hang in the breeze, could not be adjusted to sit flat on the bed and potentially dangerous!

The 'ledge' is also cast into the bed and means the throat plate has to be very thin, about 2mm.

I have been getting over this by moving the fence to the opposite side of the blade and cutting strips that way. The problem with this is that I can only put relatively small width boards through due to lack of space on this side of the table!

Does anyone know how I can get around this, as I am really struggling to cut thin strips for beading and mini mouldings and I need lots of them?

Many thanks

Andy

Hi,

I have a Kity Bestcombi that has the same problem, I use hardboard as sacrificial top, set the fence then feed in the hard board clamp it to the top and cut away.

I have thought about routing out a larger hole and fitting a plate but its a very big job and most of the time it works o/k.

Pete

Grab some 3mm Ali plate from ebay and make up a new plate. I got mine from this seller... 300518999417.

On the side where there is no support just fix something to the under-side so it just clears the blade in all positions 90-45 degrees. I used a scrap of wood and fixed this by drilling the table and using normal countersunk screws through into the wood.

002-Copy.jpg

You can see in the pic the holes where I fixed the plate on the left hand side of the blade to the wood strip with tiny screws.

Here is mine completed...

001-50.jpg

In case your wondering, the MDF construction on the right of the blade is a boxing that greatly reduces the gap between the blade and under-side cowling and causes the suction from the extraction (Henry cleaner for me) to be increased where it is needed and almost all the dust now gets sucked up where as before, most of it ended up beneath the saw!

HTH,

Steve

Andy
As it happens, I've recently shot a sequence about ZCIs using the same kind of throat plate.

1 Make am MDF blank using the three solid sides of your existing throat plate and a flush-trim router bit.

2 Line up your rip fence with the throat and rip a slot for a few inches (enough for your riving knife)

3 Glue in a fillet at the back of the slot so that it doesn't fly in the wind.

4 Lower the blade, cover the ZCI with your rip fence (clearing the line of fire, of course) wedge it down so it doesn't flutter and turn on the sawn. Slowly raise the blade through the ZCI.

5 Smile.

Cheers
Steve

Pond":36f3q7iv said:
Hello,

I have come to the conclusion that I need a ZCI on my table saw (thanks to Steve Maskery for showing me why on his video).

Which video, Pond?

Steve Maskery":36f3q7iv said:
Andy
As it happens, I've recently shot a sequence about ZCIs using the same kind of throat plate.

Is this online, Steve?

Cheers guys.

Hi - cant' resist a ts200 thread!!

I did an ZCI for my axi ts200 and just used 3mm ali from ebay fixed it with the four screw holes and it worked fine

I was worried it would 'catch' and flap about and get mangled etc but it didn't

Having said all that I prefer (much prefer) Mr Pies' solution if you have the gumption to drill holes in the saw table! full respect for that

In fact I think I prefer all the other solutions offered so far!

cheers

stoatyboy":3td0szih said:
I did an ZCI for my axi ts200 and just used 3mm ali from ebay fixed it with the four screw holes and it worked fine

I was worried it would 'catch' and flap about and get mangled etc but it didn't

Delighted to hear this as that is just what I wanted to try!

Just wondering how I'm going to elongate the hole for the riving knife...

Hi guys

I will shortly be cutting some Birch ply on my Jet table saw and I think a ZCI might help.

My table insert is more rounded at each end than Steve's. How did you cut the ali? I have never used it so am clueless (which is often my state of mind) about doing this.

Ateallthepies":3ehd3zxq said:
Grab some 3mm Ali plate from ebay and make up a new plate. I got mine from this seller... 300518999417.

In case your wondering, the MDF construction on the right of the blade is a boxing that greatly reduces the gap between the blade and under-side cowling and causes the suction from the extraction (Henry cleaner for me) to be increased where it is needed and almost all the dust now gets sucked up where as before, most of it ended up beneath the saw!

HTH,

Steve

Steve,
The blade looks like a Freud that I have. Am I correct in assuming your sawblade will cut Aluminium? As it would need to if you raise the blade to make the slot in the throat plate.

Cheers
John :)

Latest posts

Back