Your hollowing out advice/tips please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavinr

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been having a go at hollowing out a the end of a small cylinder (beech) but it is not going well, mainly I seem to be catching the edge and either knocking my wood out of balance or popping in off the chuck (rp3000). I'm using a hamlet bowl 3/8 gouge with a fingernail type profile, but I'm also having the same issues with a larger gouge too so I'm guessing it's the workman not the tools at fault.

I've watched a few YouTube clips and referred to woodturning foundation book but still seem to be struggling. Can anyone offer any advice or give me links for further reading/viewing.

Thanks

I would slow the speed and use a spindle gouge. Bowl gouge probably too aggressive which is why the piece is moving.

Brian

Gavin,
I agree with Brian, as well as slowing the speed, try hollowing in stages rather than going full depth, if that is what you are doing.

Dave

Assuming you are hollowing end grain as in the end of a spindle, You should be cutting from the centre outwards. Use the gouge so the cut is on the left wing. The flute should be pointing at around 10:00. Push the gouge from the centre of the hole to the left and then backwards, out of the hole. If you are still getting catches, rotate the gouge a little more ainticlockwise and try again.

Check your spigot is a good match for the chuck jaws to ensure you are getting the maximum grip. Generally, gripper jaws offer a better grip for hollowing than dovetail jaws.

Back