worth shopping around for plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to make a number of boxes for a display unit in 12mm birch ply. I sent my cutting list out to three different local suppliers, the results were surprising as one said it would need 9 sheets, the second said 5 sheets and the third said 6 sheets (which turned out to be the cheapest at nearly £140 less than the next) I was also surprised by his relatively little they were charging for the cutting (100 pieces in this case) I guess the profit is in the markup on the ply. Can't see how there could be such discrepancy in the number of sheets needed. I assumed they would all be using similar cutting software (or they are just trying it on)

Do they all treat the ply as a grained material in their calculations?

I didn't even try to work it out to be honest. With that many bits there was no way I was cutting it myself, I'm not kitted out for it.

And I did specify that grain direction was not important.

Woodmonkey as I also live in Bristol, I'm curious about your quotes for a supplier of decent plywood - would you mind sharing that info? you could PM me if you like.

It would pay to check the grain direction on the cut pieces and make sure they all flow the way you think they should - you might find the cheaper quote/fewer boards have a random grain direction as they tried to minimise waste rather than paid attention to aesthetics!

Steve

StevieB":214dbehe said:
It would pay to check the grain direction on the cut pieces and make sure they all flow the way you think they should - you might find the cheaper quote/fewer boards have a random grain direction as they tried to minimise waste rather than paid attention to aesthetics!

Steve
The OP did specify it didn't matter. Someone might be pulling a fast one.

I did tell them that economy was more important than grain direction which wasn't important for this application, they may have overlooked or ignored this.

Living in Bristol myself I also keen to know where you ended up. I stumped for Avon Ply a few weeks back for full boards of Birch ply. The Eastman's for some other bits, cheaper but the corners were all knocked about a bit.

Any recommendations would be greatly received :-D

Avon quoted over £66+vat per sheet, robbins I think were £45 and Eastman's £42 so went with Eastman's. Picked it up today and all looks fine nice clean cuts, will find out how accurate when I put it all together. Robbins seemed to think it would be more sheets than the other two.

I thought the prices at Avon were a little higher but the quality is certainly spot on. Eastmans were almost as helpful and cheeper; would be good to hear if the cuts are right too. If they are then happy days. They even deliver for free!

Ta,
Jim

Latest posts

Back