Worktop overhang

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
How much overhang is acceptable(structurally) for a 38mm thick 40mm stave beech worktop? Anyone have any ballpark idea?

Just to be clear, I'm talking about at one end, not front or back.

Guess it depends on what the overhang will be used for, it is for chopping/preparation, eating, possibly being sat/stood on?

I wouldn't know for certain what would be acceptable from a structural point of view but, the Rule of Thumb in my business (fitted kitchens) has generally been 300mm overhang unsupported. This is usually enough to allow stools to be pushed in when not in use and enough room to sit at when required.
If the worktop were to stick out more than 300mm unsupported, it is possible it would start to sag under its own weight over a period of time.

If you needed to extend further for any reason, you could design a kind of gallows bracket that would stabilise to a degree and balance aesthetically, while still allowing someone to sit at the end or two stools to be pushed in mostly out of the way.

a solid beech worktop would probably take a big cantilever load if the supported end is quite long. Mind you if you had an overhang of say 600mm you wouldnt want anybody sitting on it!

Latest posts

Back