Workshop is getting there

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been gradually making some progress on my workshop.

It's really a woodworking workshop, but I do also have a tool chest for my mechanical tinkering.

Thought I'd share some photos.

So this is in a single garage.

All along one wall. Starting on the right:

ezeje5e4.jpg

Then

8yhu4ygu.jpg

And then at the far end

ge4ymuse.jpg

I've still got to get the cyclone and dust extraction sorted for the bench tools.

I'm finding that I'm not using my TS200 table saw as much as I would like to / should do as it's not that accessible and needs a lot of space. I am hopeful I can sort that.

I'd welcome comments and thoughts etc.

Oh and if you're wondering the flap in Pic 2 was to allow the CSMS to fit onto that work top. I don't really need it now.

I need to think about a router table and a small planner thicknesser. I think I also need to think about drilling some holes or possibly some t track in my main worktop so I can use clamps easily.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts or ideas.

Ah, the bottom rack is that. And the orange tray / tool holder. The rack is a tad cheap and lightweight. Holds the trays well though. The top (back) rack is from Aldi or Lidl. My wife spotted it and bought it for me on the chance I might like it. It's pretty good.

Any chance of a shot from the front of the garage to see the whole thing? Still nice that you're getting there with it.

No I do t think so. I did have a vectra but that was about 20 years ago when I was student! I had a vectra SRi and did about 100,00 miles in it without realising that you had to service cars! I sold it when it needed a new tyre (not after the same tyres for 100,000 miles!)

Looks great mate. Could you drop a router plate into that flap up bit on your workbench? Then you would have a foldable router table. For me that would do for 90% of my routing tasks.

Hi Discostu

Have you had a look at my post in Feb 2007 entitled 'Space Saving Machine Slides' on the Design forum. I had the problem you might be experiencing, where your machines are stored next to each other, but too close to use. I got fed up of moving them, so came up with the machine slides. Still in use and now with a 10" SIP saw on one of the slides. When made the way I describe they are strong enough for me to sit on it when extended, so using the mortiser is no problem.
mortise machine.JPG

Sliding Chop saw.JPG

Router table.JPG

Attachments

• mortise machine.JPG
    mortise machine.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 2,189
  • Sliding Chop saw.JPG
    Sliding Chop saw.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 2,189
  • Router table.JPG
    Router table.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 2,189
I like that idea! My bench with all the machines on has got a little more crowded since I bought the planner thicknesser.

Mick - you could drop a router plate in there, I don't see why not. I've actually removed the flap now as I have the other bench. Originally it was so I could put my csms on it.

I'll pop out and take some more photos and update this in a mo.

Ok so here is the current state of play:

Firstly all of my workshop runs along one side of a garage.

At the end furthest from the garage door I have a bench that is roughly 2000mm x 800mm

The work top is set quite high - 1050mm. This is for two reasons:

1 - I'm 6'2" and I hate bending down to work. (I hate washing up for this reason, well that's what I claim!)

2 - at 1050mm I can get my table saw under the bench.

On top of the bench I have:

Clarke Grinder with whetstone
Clarke Bench belt / disc sander
My old CSMS
Scheppach planner thicknesser
Clarke Pillar Drill
Axminster Bandsaw

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414943836.336726.jpg

Underneath I have:

Axminster TS200 table saw with slide and extension table
Under the extension table I have a Karcher Vac and Dust Mite cyclone.

Then on the other side I have a triton router table mounted on a home made unit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414944288.239418.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414944302.074044.jpg

Then in the middle there is a bit of a pillar so currently I have a draw unit (filled with car bits) and a shelving unit on top. This houses a few power tools and their accessories

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414944378.966027.jpg

Then my main work bench and the racking behind. You'll see I'm a fan of the Ryobi system! Also if you see where the google go? That is where I hang my iPad up so I can have TV or YouTube etc. And I have some bluetooth speakers - just means I can have a few home comforts.

Underneath the bench is an old school tray system so it have about 12 trays in it with accessories etc.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414944558.812867.jpg

Then finally to the right of that I have my tool chest with all of my car tools etc. These are by the door so that they are closest to the car!

My next plans are:

To get rid of the school draw unit as it doesn't cope with the weight. I will probably build something similar.

To remove the chest of draws with car parts and look to create more work surface.

To put a shelf and draw into the router unit for more storage and section off the dust collection.

I am then also looking to use so e of the other wall and build a lower bench that I can use for cutting sheet materials with a track saw. This is just an idea at this stage. I'm also toying with the idea of getting a lathe.

I think I need to start on some projects now though and see what annoys me etc.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414943836.336726.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414943836.336726.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 2,170
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414944288.239418.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414944288.239418.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 2,170
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414944302.074044.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414944302.074044.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 2,170
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414944378.966027.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414944378.966027.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 2,170
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414944558.812867.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414944558.812867.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 2,170
nice job as for router table make a flip down one using a piano hinge mounted on front of work bench,use 18mm mdf work great with routers for mashiening timber very smooth

I was making a monitor stand last night and I need more space for actually clamping things together etc. So I'll have to think about that in the workshop evolution.

Back