Workshop Heaven - Continental Hand Stitched Rasp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James C

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I started off a topic about rasps a while back to look into using them to produce some curved work and doing reshaping etc.

After people pitching in different opinions, I decided to plump for the the WH Continental Rasps instead of the Liogier mainly because of the £20 savings.

DSC_0011.JPG

It came this morning and I got it out of it's packaging to have a look before taking to work tomorrow for a bit of a play, and I noticed it had damage to the handle.

DSC_0014.JPG

It looks like someone has seated the tang in the handle by giving a hefty thwack on the end. I know this is only cosmetic damage and won't affect the functionality but it is supposed to be a new tool. Do you think it is worth returning it or just not bothering because tools are for using, not for looking at?

Attachments

• DSC_0011.JPG
    DSC_0011.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 1,969
  • DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 1,969
Depends on what you paid for it. Personaly i'd return it if it cost a lot. As a new item, should not have any damage on it. But if it was just a cheap one i'd put up with it.

Well it was around £38 including delivery, not cheap in my opinion. I think I will try emailing Matt later.

Hi James, first off I will say I am a fan of Liogier rasps, and I have come to know Noel quite well. But I am not knowingly biased. I reckon the handle is of little consequence... Liogier only added handles a few years ago, before that they were sold like metal files, i.e. make your own. Main thing is the tool... if you work it and are happy with it, all fine. Worth noting I believe that a majority of traditional toolmakers in this field never really considered the handle at all until recently. Basically, don't buy the handle, buy the tool.

condeesteso":shs658wo said:
Hi James, first off I will say I am a fan of Liogier rasps, and I have come to know Noel quite well. But I am not knowingly biased. I reckon the handle is of little consequence... Liogier only added handles a few years ago, before that they were sold like metal files, i.e. make your own. Main thing is the tool... if you work it and are happy with it, all fine. Worth noting I believe that a majority of traditional toolmakers in this field never really considered the handle at all until recently. Basically, don't buy the handle, buy the tool.

That's a fair point. Which is why I posed the question, but I'm still left feeling that part of the price goes to making and fitting a handle and therefore it should at least be to a similar standard as the tool.

Yes, I'm sure Matthew would replace it in a heartbeat but if it were mine, the first thing I would do would be to take the varnish off and replace it with boiled Linseed anyway. :)

I bought an Ashley Isles Dovetail Chisel from WH a couple of years ago. Now it's a very nice chisel but the handle is not drilled straight, so to keep the blade vertical you have to tilt the tool slightly. Now this makes no difference to the way the tool works but every time I use it I wish I had said something. Too late now.

Unless you are completely happy in your own mind about the handle, get it replaced. Or, like me, every time you use it you will regret it.

Bob

As you paid for a rasp with a handle you should expect both to be supplied in good condition.
I'm sure Matthew will exchange it without any problems?

Rod

Matt has since been in contact and is sending me a replacement handle free of charge and with free postage! Excellent service again.

not at all surprised James. Matthew is famous for service like that.
Re 'value' I think your rasp does remarkably well. It is hand-stitched and that means that from initial forming the blank (forge) to final finishing must have taken at least 3 hours of true hand-work by skilled craftsmen.
I cannot think of any other hand tool of this overall form (chisels for example) that takes so long to make these days, and requires such skill.

I have actually given it a test out now. I'm glad I went for a finer stitched rasp as it leaves a lovely surface that needs minimal sanding or scraping, but at the same time can really remove material quickly when you need it to.

I would definitely recommend giving them a try and I know I will probably add to my collection in the future.

Back