Workshop Disposal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Altheo

Established Member
Reaction score
A serious eyesight problem and a couple of near accidents have determined that all the machines in my hobby workshop have to be sold off, ideally as one complete lot, although I will probably continue with carving and manual woodworking, 1800' s style. There are quite a lot of good quality machines and associated tools, both bench mounted and hand held, possibly too much to interest an individual purchaser. :(

As a "newbie", I'm not permitted yet to advertise on the Forum but I enquire if any member knows of a dealer in used woodworking equipment within, say, 200 miles of Cardiff that I can contact.

Many thanks.

Hi

Sorry to hear you're having to limit your woodworking but if you make a few more posts you'll be able to advertise your goods here and be sure that they go to home(s) where they'll continue to be appreciated.

Regards Mick

Also sorry to hear this. One thing to bare in mind private sales usually get more than selling to a dealer. A dealer still needs to make a profit on anything purchased.

Sorry to hear of your problems Al.
Carlb40 is right in saying you will probably get better prices in going private, the downside being that you may not be able to move all your items as a job lot. That having said, I would be surprised if members of this Forum wouldn't be interested in most of your kit so I would suggest it was worth the effort to sell individual items.
Perhaps post a couple of thank you's to replies so far which should give you the requisite number of posts so as you can upload some photos of your gear.
For once I don't have a vested interest (honestly), but having been talked into and bought a DeWalt RAS by Dogde, I would recommend that you at least advertise this individually.
Good luck with the future.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum also and I'm sorry to hear of you're sight problems. I have recently been buying a few woodworking machines for my own use after retiring four years ago on ill health grounds I needed something to get me out of the chair. I found a lot of items I was looking for on a well known auction wed site and sellers seemed to be getting a good price for the items they were selling. Had you posted this a few weeks ago I could have arranged to come and view some of the items you are selling as I only live just up the road from you in Pontypridd.

If you do decide to sell on the forum I'll keep a look out in case there's anything else I'm looking for.

Regards

Graham

As obviously no one else is going to say any thing Grayo, The word was Hobby, NOT Hubby
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":1e7ztpuq said:
As obviously no one else is going to say any thing Grayo, The word was Hobby, NOT Hubby
Regards Rodders

Oops that's what happens when you speed read #-o . Note to myself must read posts a little slower lol

I am very pleased to note that the error was due to speed reading and not bad eyesight too!
TBH I have started to mis read words lately myself, sign of ano domini I guess. Rodders

Specifically for Rafezetter. I'm still fumbling my way around this website, so I'm probably doing this all wrong, but never mind eh!
I'm able to receive PM's but not permitted to send them yet.

Altheo

Altheo":2jhj09ea said:
Specifically for Rafezetter. I'm still fumbling my way around this website, so I'm probably doing this all wrong, but never mind eh!
I'm able to receive PM's but not permitted to send them yet.

Altheo
You have the required 3 posts now, so you can PM people as of now. :)

Altheo, you _nearly_ have the required three posts (according to the count). One more and you're there.

Bear in mind with eBay several things:

1. The rules are HEAVILY biased in favour of the buyer.
2. The costs are high: eBay's own charges + PayPal (which you can't refuse to use any more) add up to around
20% (it varies depending on the value and how you sell, etc.). In my experience as a small seller, eBay are
hard to deal with, and couldn't care less about the truth in any dispute.
3. You may end up with the item unsold but still incurring costs, if the buyer backs out.
4. Ebay availability lowers prices - if several of something unusual sold recently, you might not get a bite
at all (everyone wanting now having got one). Also it's generally a bad idea to list something if there are already several similar auctions running (unless there's just one, with lots of fierce bidding already!).

Assuming 20% (probably worst case, admittedly), you can afford to sell somewhere like here for a bit less than the eBay prices, yet still come out of it better off.

Ebay is great for researching prices though. Do an advanced search for completed items similar to yours. The ones that come up in green actually sold (the red ones didn't). So you find out what people actually paid, rather than having to guess at it.

Sorry to hear about the eyesight problems - got some sympathy! Hope it all ends well.

E.

If you post again then you'll be able to put a list in the For Sale section.

However if you have a decent bandsaw that you want to sell I might be interested in it.

Hi All,

Due to Altheo's (Alan) eye sight problem he has to limit his use of the computer. I know Alan pops in now and again so please bear with him on this difficult decision he is being forced to make.

Graham

Could we all try and remember to BEAR with one another in future?
Much as I like you all, I have no desire to be bare with any of you!

Myfordman":1bg39nfn said:
Could we all try and remember to BEAR with one another in future?
Much as I like you all, I have no desire to be bare with any of you!

I stand corrected but it must have been my dyslexic keyboard's fault

Hi All,

Just thought I'd let you know I met up with Alan this morning and purchased a couple of pieces of machinery from him. Alan has lots of different types of machines and tools that he is selling and I strongly urge anybody looking for workshop machinery to contact Alan. All the machines I looked at were top quality machines all in great condition and well looked after, you won't be disappointed, contact Alan via PM.

Grayo":35v3y4ox said:
Hi All,

Just thought I'd let you know I met up with Alan this morning and purchased a couple of pieces of machinery from him. Alan has lots of different types of machines and tools that he is selling and I strongly urge anybody looking for workshop machinery to contact Alan. All the machines I looked at were top quality machines all in great condition and well looked after, you won't be disappointed, contact Alan via PM.
Nice to hear. Alan will need to make at least one more post to reply to PM's ;)

The mod's deleted his tool list so reducing his post count.

Yes I wondered where it went to. I purchased the pillar drill and the bench sander from Alan and very happy I am as well. Great guy.

Many thanks to Grayo for his comments. Had an interesting chat with him this morning and he went away happy with a couple of machines.
Sorry to note that my machine inventory has been removed, but accept that rules are rules etc., but it was never my intention to flout them.
Must make the effort to post a few more messages.

Latest posts

Back