Workshop Design - well it's a build really.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mcluma":6wqe6ynd said:
Dibs-h":6wqe6ynd said:
Update:
Going to put timber up both sides of the door opening and the top - reasoning being that as me (and stuff) goes in and out, the greatest probability is the sides will get the occasional knock and timber will stand up better than plasterboard. Got to get some timber for the window sills too!

Dibs

that will look much better, also put timber arround the windows

I hadn't thought about that one. I was thinking of leaving the timber around the doors - ever so slightly proud. Perhaps even round over the inner edge. Perhaps the same for the windows too.

Just plain softwood - painted in the end. For the sills - how much should it be sticking out? Is there a rule of thumb?

Cheers

Dibs

Is your plasterboard of the tapered variety? Just wondering why your choosing to skim the room?

Personally I'd just joint all the boards with easifill and sand back. It would leave you with an excellent finish and not be as cold to the touch as skim.

If you choose to joint get yourself a pole sander to knock back any edges, you could have it flawless with a few nights work.

billybuntus":lq6q3op2 said:
Is your plasterboard of the tapered variety? Just wondering why your choosing to skim the room?

Personally I'd just joint all the boards with easifill and sand back. It would leave you with an excellent finish and not be as cold to the touch as skim.

If you choose to joint get yourself a pole sander to knock back any edges, you could have it flawless with a few nights work.

Nah it's the straight edge variety. Why skim? For the practice - I've got a fair bit in the house to do at some point and that too is straight edged as well.

Cold - I'd be suprised. :lol: Considering how much insulation is in the building! :mrgreen:

Dibs

It should be proud by about 3 to 4 mill, also depending how much plaster youi want to put on :wink:

I like wooden trim better then plastered

Mcluma":1d5pbpc8 said:
It should be proud by about 3 to 4 mill, also depending how much plaster youi want to put on :wink:

I like wooden trim better then plastered

Come to think about it - all the windows in the house (and there are a fair few of them) all have wooden trim around the windows. Might have a good look as I suspect some of them still have the original trim.

Hopefully get a couple of hours in there this evening.

Cheers

Dibs.

Dibs-h":xu5mb4zj said:
Nah it's the straight edge variety. Why skim? For the practice - I've got a fair bit in the house to do at some point and that too is straight edged as well.

Get yourself a tube of deepheat for your sore shoulders and arms when your next out :D

billybuntus":2lvqin5f said:
Get yourself a tube of deepheat for your sore shoulders and arms when your next out :D

Could have done with some when I dug the trenches for the groundbeams and countless other times! :lol: Well past it now. :mrgreen:

Free exercise and saves £40 or so on the gym fees! :lol: :lol:

Dibs-h":1lp24934 said:
billybuntus":1lp24934 said:

Could have done with some when I dug the trenches for the groundbeams and countless other times! :lol: Well past it now. :mrgreen:

Free exercise and saves £40 or so on the gym fees! :lol: :lol:

i'm to old for that, and my kids don't want to do hard labour anymore, so i have a digger

Mcluma":1m8o12hz said:
Dibs-h":1m8o12hz said:
Mcluma":1m8o12hz said:

:idea: Now there's an idea!

you have them, or do first have to build and train them :lol: :lol:

Have 2 - 9 & 4, I suspect the 4yr old will be more hindrance than help & liable to throw hissy fit if things don't go her way :roll:

The other one - he already keeps asking when his workshop will be ready?

Progress: Well in a manner.

Do you remember the pile of muck in front of the shed? Here's a quick reminder -

4_glazed.jpg

Well now you don't see it.

clear1.jpg

And now you do but not so magically transported to the front and a lorry with a Hiab will be collecting it in about a week. About 14 cubic yards of the stuff!

spoils1.jpg

I've got a huge pile of stones at the bottom of the garden, which will contribute to the drystone wall that will be built between us and the other semi (the crappy fence that was there is long gone.) Also had a bit of a general tidy up and strimmed what is supposed to be the rest of the garden but is more like a meadow.

I've yet to fit the final piece of ply flooring inside - just infront of the door so to speak. Slight problem - with 22mm hardwood ply, it appears that the stone cill is about 5mm too low. Now the original thought was to remove the aluminium threshold and put down a piece of say 6mm Aluminium flat bar and then put the threshold back. 6mmx 65mm x 1350mm isn't cheap especially when you don't want 6m of it.

So Plan B - remove the stone cill and fit another one. Considering the local stone merchants charged me £20 for it in the first place - I think that's a winner as I'm not bothered how the existing one comes out. Will be picking that up on Thursday and fitting it that evening, which should allow me to get the final piece of flooring in and then do the trim around the door\windows.

And then plaster. At least with the mountain of earth gone - getting stuff in & out of the shop is a damn sight easier and less dangerous.

Got some Heras fencing - collecting it next week as the drystone wall behind the garage has to come down, for the new garage and it's basement.

Dibs

vmvseoa":32x59jt2 said:
Any more progress on this great build yet Dibs???

Well the wagon came on Monday lunchtime and took all the spoils away. Collected the round top Heras fencing in the afternoon - got a cracking price on that - 5 panels, 4 feet and 8 couplers for £102

Had a plasterer come round the other evening and give me an estimate. Got another one coming round in a day or so to quote as well. Now that the mountain of earth has gone from the front, getting stuff in and out of the shop is a lot easier too!

Been busy with a few other things (non shed related) - but hoping to finish off the few outstanding things this weekend. Stuff like the wooden window\door trim and the last piece of flooring, along with the small pieces of plasterboard that needs to go at the bottom of the walls.

Will post up some pictures these weekend after I'm done.

Got another 2 weeks (max) to get this last lot done - so there will probably be a huge flurry of activity shortly. Then on with the garage\basement - spent all last Sat evening with the SE going over the structural\constructional details.

Cheers

Dibs

Hope you don't mind me asking but I for one would be really interested in hearing about what your SE has to say about your basement works. My long term goal is to turn our smelly damp basement into a useful fairly dry space, probably not living space more like somewhere I can store garden tools and logs etc. Any hint / tips / info is always well received :D

Cheers

wobblycogs":3fdimb9b said:
Hope you don't mind me asking but I for one would be really interested in hearing about what your SE has to say about your basement works. My long term goal is to turn our smelly damp basement into a useful fairly dry space, probably not living space more like somewhere I can store garden tools and logs etc. Any hint / tips / info is always well received :D

Cheers

If folk are interested - I can continue the thread with the garage\basement build or do a new thread? Or no thread? There will be a bit of a pause between the shop being plastered, to when the internal fitting out takes place. That will have to wait a little as I'm going to have to empty the garage out and it has to be stored somewhere. :oops:

For the basement - I'll be excavating about 1m down from the current level between the existing garage & shop. (Not looking forward to that as it's about 24 cubic meters, a damn sight more than for the 'shop). The drystone wall will be taken down and replaced with the Heras fencing.

SE is fully on board with the basement side of things.

Approx details are 1' reinforced raft\slab with a ground beam where it adjoins the end of the 'shop. Along the back wall there will be a retaining wall which will be finished with 1 skin of drystone wall, so the neighbours side looks like it currently does. Cast pillars going up the side - which should protrude into the basement once it's been finished, but by how much isn't yet finalised. These will tie in with a large amount of rebar in the garage floor - creating a localised reinforcement in the garage floor, going across the garage floor. This is to take a 2 post car lift in the garage - and the floor to effectively take the load of a car on the floor, lift in the floor and a car on the lift. The garage floor will be cast in-situ using the metal deck that you see used in commercial builds.

On the garden side there will also be a retaining wall, but not as high as our garden will be re-leveled. I also suspect the short side towards the drive will also have a retaining element. The initial thoughts are to fit a rubber type of membrane to the outside and cover it with a protection board. And\or internally render it with some of the Cementious slurry type of product and then couple of coats of Synthaprufe. The retaining walls - I'm expecting to be block - space with mesh and then block. The gap will be filled with concrete. Will be discussing whether waterproof concrete might be an option.

For an existing space - it's a bit different. Is your space ventilated? You'd be surprised how much difference that can make.

Dibs

p.s. Here's a picture - sort of WIP, need to finalise a few things yet.

basement_side.jpg

Thanks a lot for that Dibs, I'd vote for a separate thread about this project if you're up for it. The car lift idea is great, I've been considering pricing one up for us as parking is at a premium unless we sacrifice even more back garden.

Our cellar is ventilated in so much as there is a open hole / window at the front and the coal chute come access point at the back both of which let air in. There's no forced air though which I know would make a big improvement. I've looked into a couple of tanking solutions for it but the main reason for not doing anything about it yet is because of the very limited headroom of about 1800mm - those Georgians of yester year must have been really short! I was thinking of digging it out a bit and pouring a slab but seeing you go for a 300mm slab makes me wonder if that is practical, my plan was for half that thickness.

wobblycogs":hcafbzsc said:
Thanks a lot for that Dibs, I'd vote for a separate thread about this project if you're up for it. The car lift idea is great, I've been considering pricing one up for us as parking is at a premium unless we sacrifice even more back garden.

Our cellar is ventilated in so much as there is a open hole / window at the front and the coal chute come access point at the back both of which let air in. There's no forced air though which I know would make a big improvement. I've looked into a couple of tanking solutions for it but the main reason for not doing anything about it yet is because of the very limited headroom of about 1800mm - those Georgians of yester year must have been really short! I was thinking of digging it out a bit and pouring a slab but seeing you go for a 300mm slab makes me wonder if that is practical, my plan was for half that thickness.

My lift is a single phase - electro-hydraulic and European as opposed to cheap Chaiwanese. List price somewhere around £3k nowadays.

The reason my slab will be around 300mm is because it is the main mechanism of transferring the weight of the building and it's contents into the ground. In your case - it would just be a screed and you would use a 100mm one for regular concrete or 50mm if using an Anhydrite one, but that would then need a final covering.

Another 300 dug out would be about what you'd have to dig out. Worth doing a test dig (say 12"x12") at the mid-point of each of the basement walls to establish how far the existing footings go.

Dibs

p.s. Happy to do the other build as a separate thread. This thread might pause or seriously slow down soon and then pick again when I'm fitting out.

Ah ok, I suspected it might need to be thicker for the lifter etc. Will have to look into Anhydrite as a 50mm slab would be great. I've already test dug one corner and I reckon I can get another 200 on the headroom if I'm careful. My aim is for 1900 headroom as that would be just enough to get a decent sized bandsaw down there :D.

Cheers.

wobblycogs":2gnbjr1m said:
Ah ok, I suspected it might need to be thicker for the lifter etc. Will have to look into Anhydrite as a 50mm slab would be great. I've already test dug one corner and I reckon I can get another 200 on the headroom if I'm careful. My aim is for 1900 headroom as that would be just enough to get a decent sized bandsaw down there :D.

Cheers.

http://www.gyvlon.co.uk/index.html - that's one of the biggest players in the market. Needs to be pumped in.

Latest posts

Back