woodworking bench vice but benchtop mount?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks all.

Looking at my options, i do have one 10" draw that i use for tools and suchlike which is easily removable. So thinking making it so when i am needing the vice i can remove the draw, attach the vice to the worktop (probably hefty bolts and suchlike) and use it.

then when i am no longer using the vice i can remove it and put it elsewhere, replace the drawer and i don't lose any storage space and have the vice available within minutes whenever i need with a handful of nuts to attach.

Granted it probably isn't ideal but i am limited in space and skills, so currently it isn't a major issue not to have a permanent vice.

Homerjh":23fgfyxk said:
Looking at my options, i do have one 10" draw that i use for tools and suchlike which is easily removable. So thinking making it so when i am needing the vice i can remove the draw, attach the vice to the worktop (probably hefty bolts and suchlike) and use it.

then when i am no longer using the vice i can remove it and put it elsewhere, replace the drawer and i don't lose any storage space and have the vice available within minutes whenever i need with a handful of nuts to attach.

I used to do just that with my metalwork vice. I found it was easiest if I used big (12mm) coach bolts, with the head under the bench fitting snugly into a hole so they didn't fall out, and the threaded part on the top. It was then easy to see what I was doing as I put the nuts on and tightened them up. Of course, you need to hacksaw the bolts short so they fit nicely. To do that, just hold them in the vice... :wink:

If you do any woodwork you will need a woodwork vice a lot of the time so I'd go for the Record 52 1/2 permanently fixed. They are your best option by far and well worth losing a bit of drawer space for.

Homerjh":1lwgp0nt said:
thanks all.

Granted it probably isn't ideal but i am limited in space and skills, so currently it isn't a major issue not to have a permanent vice.
While that seems simple and quick enough it's a lot of faff and after attaching and detaching the vice a score of times I'm sure you'll have wished you'd gone a different route. I think you should give further consideration to other options.

While I agree a standard woodworking vice is a great addition to a bench it's worth repeating that you can work permanently without one and not be handicapped. Every task that a face vice is indeed perfect for is actually possible by other means. Granted sometimes it's slightly slower to get set up, slightly, and some of the alternatives are actually faster. If your bench legs are substantial enough that you can drill dog holes in the front you could be reaching for your plane to joint a board edge before you'd even be finished spinning the tommy bar on a vice :)

In summary, all you need is a combination of alternate workholding solutions that does all you need done. A few were recommended on the previous page but to list some again: stops, tapering or pinching board holders, one or more battens, cams/boomerangs, holdfasts, along with basic use of common clamps can do everything a vice can, and much more.

If your bench legs are substantial enough that you can drill dog holes in the front you could be reaching for your plane to joint a board edge before you'd even be finished spinning the tommy bar on a vice
Doubt it! Thats one of the big strengths of an ordinary vice - you can drop in anything from tiny drawer side to a 10' 3x10 joist, equally easy, without need for any extra bits of kit
ED65":1jnp2r8c said:
..... stops, tapering or pinching board holders, one or more battens, cams/boomerangs, holdfasts, along with basic use of common clamps can do everything a vice can, and much more.
But a vice can do more and is more convenient than "stops, tapering or pinching board holders,battens, cams/boomerangs, holdfasts, common clamps".

A proper vice is a pretty basic essential bit of kit and not worth the effort of doing without , if you have the choice.

Jacob":hd4odvq6 said:
ED65":hd4odvq6 said:
If your bench legs are substantial enough that you can drill dog holes in the front you could be reaching for your plane to joint a board edge before you'd even be finished spinning the tommy bar on a vice
Doubt it!
I guarantee it: two pegs in dog holes, a bird's mouth at the end of the bench. You place the board and you're done.

Wouldn't take but a moment longer with a pair of holdfasts, they'd at least be the match of the vice if not have the edge.

We are only talking a paltry saving in time and effort each time in any case, which might or might not matter to each individual. But it illustrates one job that can be done faster or as fast by other means.

Thats one of the big strengths of an ordinary vice - you can drop in anything from tiny drawer side to a 10' 3x10 joist, equally easy, without need for any extra bits of kit
Those are only extra bits of kit if you have a vice. The vice is extra to someone who doesn't have one fitted Jacob ;-)

ED65":hd4odvq6 said:
..... stops, tapering or pinching board holders, one or more battens, cams/boomerangs, holdfasts, along with basic use of common clamps can do everything a vice can, and much more.
But a vice can do more and is more convenient than "stops, tapering or pinching board holders,battens, cams/boomerangs, holdfasts, common clamps".
Well I'd have no problem wagering a tidy sum that they can do more! The more convenient part is open to interpretation so I won't go there. Everyone's mileage varies.

Not directed at you, but Western woodworkers today can be very blinkered in their views on how things can/should be done and it's worth noting that from the near east to Asia you won't see many vices fitted to a bench. You won't even see many benches :lol:

Back