Wooden Vice Cheeks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigyCraigo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just after some advise.......

i have just brought a carpenters vice and need to install some wooden cheeks......

Hardwood or softwood cheeks is the question.......

I was thinking softwood over say hardwood as not to mar soft wood pieces but opinions please if you don't mind.

Cheers

Craig

I used maple cheeks to match the bench then lined them with some cork from cork tiles. Works for me.

Hardwood would be my choice and is on my record vice. The reason being hardwoods are usually stronger/ more rigid than softwoods. So if desired you can extend the cheeks past the sides of the vice :)

Any old wood will do. Even mdf. As long as it is smooth enough to not leave an impression, so perhaps not chipboard.

The Records on my old school woodwork bench have ply faces, never been a problem

Mark

Thanks Guys,

As the local wood mill very really has hardwoords, i'll get some redwood on them for now and see how i get on!!!

Cheers

Craig

Roughcut":2sf3ver3 said:
I just used planed 4"x1" softwood as that is what I had at the time.

ditto with 4"x2" so that I could add dog holes.

Like Carl said - use a hardwood and add extra length. Mine is in oak, with the overall length of the front wooden jaw being about twice the width of the metal jaw of the vice. The rear pad is in line with the front edge of the bench.
This comes in very useful if holding tall pieces vertically on one side of the rods. (If doing this, it's a good idea to put a balancing piece of equal thickness on the other side to avoid too much racking.)

If you've got some old suede lying around you can line the jaws with that. Gives the jaws an incredible grip!! I've used pine, ply and hardwood, all have worked well.

The redwood never went so good last night, i was trying to set the jaw into it and it kept splitting, after further inspection there were shakes all down it...... I found a 4x1/2" piece of rough sawn oak in the garage so going to have a bash at planing it up nice and ripping it into 2 halves!!!

Wish me luck....... first real go at taking rough sawn and making it into something nice without power tools!!! Problem is i only have a work mate to do it on until i get the vice up and running on the bench!!!

C

My top tips when you have to plane something held on a Workmate is to clamp a length of 2x3 to it, which can stick out and brace you against a wall, and also, put it on the upper height setting and stand on the platform, so as to hold it down.

Thanks for the advice guys.......

Went with oak in the end because I had some lying around rough sawn....... loved doing this simple project.......... not a power tool in sight (well not used anyway)........ See pics!!!

IMG_0942Small.jpg

The rough sawn 4" x 1 3/4"

IMG_0943Small.jpg

Cross cut and ripped in half

IMG_0944Small.jpg

Cheek faces planed

IMG_0945Small.jpg

Now PAR ready to do the cutout to avoid the screws and sliders

IMG_0946Small.jpg

First pic of the vice - as you can see its a carpenters vice but top mountable - a Record Irwin V150B. I need a functioning workbench to build my final work bench....... you'll see a pic further down

IMG_0947Small.jpg

Cut out complete

IMG_0948Small.jpg

Cheeks now bridging the screws and slides

IMG_0949Small.jpg

cheeks screwed on

IMG_0950Small.jpg

Tops planed nice and level and cheeks briwaxed

IMG_0952Small.jpg

ISO view of finished installation - the vice clamps underneath the work bench and has provisional for bolt down........ I have utilised both as its not going to move anywhere else

IMG_0951Small.jpg

final view of the finished installation, bench and rest of the shop..... the bench cost me £50 second hand with the electrics, £20 for a new mdf top, £7 for the gloss, £12 for some adjustable feet, vice was £23 delivered and a happy craig............priceless :D

Really chuffed and cannot wait to get some projects on the go..........

Craig

Iron and oak is not a good combo. The oak will soon show black stains and the iron will start to corrode. Not an instant rust scenario, but, be warned!

Back