Wooden catch/latch/lock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motownmartin

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been designing my competition entry which is going to be a Keepsake box 14" x 10" x 8" and want to incorporate wooden hinges and a wooden catch, latch or lock, I have managed to design the hinges but I am struggling on the catch, has any of you made something similar or seen something similar and point me in the right direction.

TIA

I made a latch like this for a box I made at college.
WoodCatch01.jpg

The two moveable tabs pivot in a mortise in the edge of the box.
The edge of the lid has a dovetail mortise. Into the mortise on the outside is a slot. The sliding catch connects through the slot to a wedge shaped peg.

When the lid is closed the catch is slid downwards and that causes the wedge to push the two tabs sideways into the dovetail securing the lid.

Another one I have used is a dowel hrough the edge of the lid into the edge of the box. The dowel is captive in the lid but can rotate. The end of the dowel has a groove in it to form a bayonet. A small peg into the side of the dowel hole in the box locates on the groove in the side of the dowel.
Shut the lid, rotate the dowel with a knob and the lid is locked.

Hi Martin,

There was a latch in a recent issue of British Woodworking. The article was by the chap the moved to France and is working as a joiner/furniture maker. Works much like the type of metal latch you would find on your back gate except it's in wood. If it sounds interesting and you don't already have a copy I would be able to lend it to you.

PM me if interested.

Richard

Richard Findley":2b4xiijq said:
Hi Martin,

There was a latch in a recent issue of British Woodworking. The article was by the chap the moved to France and is working as a joiner/furniture maker. Works much like the type of metal latch you would find on your back gate except it's in wood. If it sounds interesting and you don't already have a copy I would be able to lend it to you.

PM me if interested.

Richard
I don't have a copy Richard but I do know what you mean, I have been drawing something and hope to post a pic or 2 soon, its a bit different to a latch as the one you have suggested but I am hoping it will work :?

This is what I have come up with so far, it has a slider going through to release the catch, the slider is also captivated.

Hope this makes sense and do you think its doable

hinge-1.jpg

hingefront.jpg

hingerear.jpg

Night Train":2h99f8i9 said:
So long as the short grain on the latch is up to the job it should be fine. Looks good too.
I reckon it should be as there isn't any force on it unless someone forces it open, I reckon i'll have to make a dummy prove it.

Thanks for the feedback

Back