Woodburner & Glamping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Barto

👍
Reaction score
Hi all,

First of all apologies for the use of the word glamping. It's an awful word but it is what it is. My mum's got a pimped out shepherd's hut which she's planning on putting on Airbnb/marketing to people who like glamping. It did have a woodburning stove in it but according to insurance it had to be removed. This I think takes away a huge part of the experience and this after all is what they're paying for, an experience. And that's a shame because while I was initially skeptical, it's actually turned out to be pretty cool. However, if I was to pay to stay in a shepherd's hut on a hill I'd damn well expect some woodsmoke to go with it. I get it though; a wood burning stove in a small wooden hut doesn't sound insurance friendly.

Bit of a long shot but does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Is there a way to keep the woodburner and stay insured? At the moment they're stuck with electric heaters - not ideal.

Hope you're all having a good weekend.

I've no experience of this particular problem but have done a bit of interweb trawling to see if I could find an answer - and the answer is there's little to no definitive advice. Try speaking to an old-fashioned insurance broker. These guys really know their stuff and are not sitting in a call centre ticking boxes. I use one all the time (if you're interested I can give you his details by PM - he's in Somerset).

Paul

bernienufc":2hdd9yb8 said:
There must be a way as hey use them in canal boats, cant be that different surely .....

Yes exactly. I think the problem lies in that it's being rented out rather than for private use. But that seems stupid to me as you can rent barges for holidays too...

Soho Farmhouse - very posh! I know, there surely is a way around it. There are lots of places that offer yurts and tents with woodburners in them, here for example, which has got to be more dangerous than a hut or cabin (from an insurer's point of view).

Hi
Could it be that there the risk or carbon monoxide poisoning, although if installed and certified by qualified installers and regular inspections (CP12) shouldn't be a problem insurance wise.

Marty

Well there's plenty fitted in lots of places and used by a variety of dull bugg3rs. Over zealous insurance company would be my guess. Paul's advice is the one to start with .

Back