Wood V Art

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natural Wood or Artistic Wood?

• Natural Wood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Artistic Wood

• Both

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
confused - surely natural wood can be artistic (look at some of the stuff mark hancock does for example)- or are you talking about painted/textured

Trying to cause trouble Lee? :lol:

This is an ongoing discussion that has no real answer. Both are valid styles of craftsmanship and so it is really a matter of personal taste. Have you ever come across Binh Pho's work? A classic example of both quality turning and decoration. Or if you are into the esoteric and weird there's always Fred Wiman

pete

Hi,

I think people will know what I mean, hopefully :?

Pete, just interested in the ratio that's all, and I do know Bin Pohs work, a bit hit or miss for me.

I like Clay Foster, Philip Streeting, Osolnik etc. not to mention Mark n George of course. And btw, I bought the whole range of Chestnut Rainbow Stains :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hi Lee.

i have just voted for both as i think there is room for all styles of turning.
I particulary like coloured work but i usualy leave some plain wood showing.
Therefore i think a combination works well but some wood is just too nice to colour or and texture.

Regards George

I have voted both ,

because some wood stock is stunning as it is ,

other wood stock is bland and is not stunning

So could do with some help in a arty way , be it texturing coloring burning piercing or all of the above

:lol:

For me, it depends on the wood and the piece. Some wood is so beautifully figured it would almost be criminal to colour, texture or otherwise mess about with it. On the other hand if the whole idea is for an artistic coloured piece (or even a coloured piece of utility ware like a tool handle), why not - but hopefully the maker will have started off with a plain, boring bit of wood rather than a piece of burr walnut or similar :D

I have voted for both but with some reservations. To me both form and function are important in any woodturning and some of the woodturners/artists featured in woodturning magazine can leave me feeling perplexed as to what they are trying to achieve and who their target customers are. Clearly there is a market as I suspect George and Mark are not living on fresh air alone! However as one who struggles to make even a simple bowl without embellishment their efforts can leave me feeling a little dissapointed. If my wife sees a bowl she'll put something in it be it fruit,nuts or coloured marbles! :D

I have voted for natural - not saying there is no room for artistic but just prefer natural!

Dave

HI Lee

My preference is art/creative work. However I do make both as I will make what people want to buy. If someone wants to commission an ash salad bowl then I will make an ash salad bowl.

There is obviously room for all and people should make what they enjoy making.

I enjoy making my creative pieces as it enables me to explore different techniques and express thought through my work that I can not do with a traditional bowl.

Back