Wood sample display help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keato

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay, since all I have is a scroll saw I figured I'll ask in here as I wasn't sure where else to post this.

When out and about meeting customers I usually bring my iPad Air with me to show them examples of my work though just recently I've taken close up shots (I'm a photographer too) of the grains of wood that I have and put them in an album on the iPad. Now, this is okay in some instances though it's one thing to show a photo of the wood grain to a customer and another thing to be able to bring out samples of the grain.

I've been recommended to buy a coin collecting album, shave off small slivers of the grain & put them in an A5 folder so it's compact enough to take out. But I don't have a bandsaw to do some vineering of the wood types I buy/have.

Basically the idea I have in my head is, you know when you go to B&Q and the sample book of colours is in byte paint section. I want something like that but for the wood I have. Like a sort of display book but the plastic pockets to be thick (to hold the wood in place) and wide to fit thicker than coin thickness in.

Anyone else got any ideas or have already concured this problem?

Hi

How about thin rectangular shapes with their corners rounded off, drilled and threaded onto a ball and link chain? You could then write the details of the wood on one side and finish the other.

A bit like this:

Woods.png

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Woods.png
    Woods.png
    127.6 KB · Views: 893
Common sense, that's what you guys have :D

I'm too busy trying to think of exactly what's in that photo you posted that I totally forgot that I could do what you suggested.

I just need to find a jump ring large enough to fit thick pieces of wood on it.

It would be good if my customers were interested in the feel of the grain but mostly they are just amazed at what I design / make for them. There have only been a small selection of customers wanting to see different grains / colours of wood. Like zebrano, Purpleheart and African Sandalwood (Camwood)

Totally love this forum, always know someone will know tips and tricks :)

Keato":153zzneb said:

Hi

If you're not keen on the chain idea you can join the 'leaves' together with a nut and bolt which would allow you to fan them.

Fan.png

Or you could pick up a pig or bull nose ring next time your passing an agricultural supplier.

Pig Ring.png

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Fan.png
    Fan.png
    206.4 KB · Views: 865
  • Pig Ring.png
    Pig Ring.png
    122.3 KB · Views: 865
Spindle":3fa5lmns said:
Keato":3fa5lmns said:

Hi

If you're not keen on the chain idea you can join the 'leaves' together with a nut and bolt which would allow you to fan them.

Regards Mick

Hey Spindle, that gets my vote as it's the most efficient way to display that type of item, on a SPINDLE idea lol !

Didn't think I could veneer on the scroll saw but I did.

These are slightly thicker slices than traditional veneer but I assure you the offcuts I have are veneer of each wood. About as thin as a credit card.

Anyway, I made these with a little thickness so they don't crack/snap/break as easy & drilled holes in them for Spindle's Idea :)

Lets see if you all know your woods :D

Attachments

• DSC08360 copy.jpg
    DSC08360 copy.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 713
Yep :D These are all the woods I work with or have worked with.

The only one I won't use again (chews up / breaks blades) is Black Palmira. To make that business card sized slice took 6 blades. Nothing wrong with tension or choosing the wrong blade, just the Palm wood is way to tough to cut.

The Palo Santo (bottom left) has a wonderful smell when cutting & just on its own. In fact, I kept the fine sawdust to make candles with. Haven't gotten the mixture of wax & sawdust right yet but I'll get there :D

Back