Wood ID please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy's Shed

Established Member
Reaction score
I was recently given these 3 pieces of wood from a guy who didn't want to burn them in his stove, I'm wondering if it could be Yew?

I'm hoping to use them for woodturning at some point, so long as the cracks don't go too far in.

Thanks for any info.

20240327_154806.jpg20240327_154754.jpg20240327_154749.jpg

Looks like a prunus of some sort (cherry, plum etc). Probably one of the ornamental ones as the bark doesn't look right for domestic cherry. Will be lovely for turning if it is.

Thanks gents, much appreciated. I'd better get the ends sealed ASAP.

I loaned out my chainsaw to a neighbour, I'm still waiting for him to finish with it. 🙂

Pic 1 - looks like a distinct white sapwood to the brown heartwood.
Pic 2 - the bark has the tissue paper outer layer with thicker fibrous layer underneath.

Thanks again everyone.

I did wonder why he didn't want to burn it on a fire, possibly because he thought it was something that might be a bit nasty? That's what had me thinking it might have been Yew and I didn't have a clue as to what else it could be.

I'd previously seen a video where Laburnum was being turned and he said that precautions were needed due to it being poisonous/toxic, but I'd forgotten what the wood looked like.

That rich brown heartwood and creamy sapwood looks very like my laburnum although l'm not familiar with the bark. I can't say the reputed toxicity affected MEeeeeeee.........

Had a closer look at the pictures and a piece of laburnum sitting in the pile and I think I may have been wrong earlier - team laburnum now.

Latest posts

Back