Wood' glue recommendation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slidgeman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

In the process of setting up a small workshop in my garage. Scrollsaw, table saw, bench drill, bench sander, etc, and am planning on making small boxes, bowls, etc, and need a little advice on a general purpose glue I could use. I have built up some stock of mahogany, oak, walnut and pitch pine, which I will use for my small projects and need a simple good strong glue. Any suggestion please?

Thanks,

Doug.

Titebond is widely used by professional cabinet makers, but their reasons might not accord with your reasons.

One of the key attractions of Titebond for professionals is that it only needs 20-30 minutes with the job cramped up, and even though full strength won't be realised for 24 hours you can progress with some light work after only 30-60 minutes.

This speed is important in a professional shop, but the price you pay is that "open time" is really restricted, about 5 minutes for Titebond I, 10 minutes for Titebond II, and 10-15 minutes for Titebond III. There's also Titebond Extend which might stretch that to 15-20 minutes (they say 15-30 minutes but I've never found it useable after 20 minutes). The other issue with all the Titebonds (in fact with virtually all PVA and UF glues), including Extend, is that they're pressure sensitive, so they are extremely "grabby". Use any Titebond (including Extend) on a tight domino, tenon or biscuit and in as little as sixty seconds you might not be able to shift it without a very big hammer!

The reason I say this is if you're a newbie to woodworking then by all means use Titebond. But split your glue ups into smaller sub assemblies, and always have a dry practise run before the real thing.

This is a question I have pondered for a while so thanks to poster for asking it and you guys for the great advice.

Cheers

The ones I tend to use most are Titebond II, Cascamite and Titebond I.

I use Pattex Express (a PVA glue) mainly for three reasons:
- available in small (250cc) containers - at the low rate I spend it, that's important
- very handy containers, with a spout and a screwing stopper (UHU has a similar container, but the stopper is not of the screw-on type and is forever falling to the floor - bought just one container once as I could find no Pattex at the time)
- has an open time of just 5 minutes, and that places it alongside Titebond I, with all the very same inconvenients; however, I need that short setting time because I have a very small working space (3 m2 all told, including a tool chest, most of my tools, one small drill press on a bench, and - most important of all - my B&D Workmate, which is my actual workbench); so, even if I do only small work, I can't afford to have things lying around waiting for them to dry
- accessorily, but not that important, it dries clear, not white or yellow.

But I do recognise it is a little bit too fast setting - everything must be prepared beforehand, otherwise...

I use D4 from toolstation, it's cheap and it works for me. I've not used it to make solid boards however so not sure how it works on them.

Interesting. I have used Titebond 3, Screwfix "no nonsense" PVA, and even at a pinch builder's PVA bond. Aside from the thickness (Titebond is runniest, builder's PVA the thickest), the only thing to pick between them as far as I can see is a slightly less conspicuous glue line from the Titebond because of its tan colour rather than dirty grey. Nothing has fallen apart yet - and the builder's PVA is holding an aquarium stand together !

Latest posts

Back