wiring advice for old elu mff-40?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavinr

Established Member
Reaction score
hi, hoping someone on here may be familiar with the Elu MF-440 planer.

I have just acquired one (I like the old heavy planers like this and the skil 100 etc if anyone was wondering why and am always on the lookout for them) with a faulty switch, apparently it ran but would not turn off. the planer came with the switch removed. I've stripped the switch down and cleaned the contacts but I cannot find out how to rewire it to test the switch.

i tried to post a pic of what i have but i'm getting a message that i'm not allowed, i'm guessing its because i am a new member, so i'll do my best to explain...

power cord with brown and blue. from the plane two pairs of taped together wires red/yellow each. the switch itself has 2 pairs of connectors marked 1 on one side and 2 the other.

if anyone can shed any light on the puzzle it would be appreciated. Thanks

1) When you were inside the switch cleaning contacts,was it a simple switch eg move lever and contacts move or was there a coil or electromagnet inside as well?

2)With 4 connections we have to assume a double pole switch. so with the contacts made is 1 connected to 1 and 2 connected to 2 or do both the 1s become connected each to one of the 2s?.

3) If the answer to 1) was there is a coil, which of the four terminals is the coil connected to?

thanks for the replies chaps.

it is a very simple switch. the contacts move backwards and forwards with a simple rocker type bar that makes the contact with the two terminals facing back at the handle... which i'm thinking are the ones that the power wires go into. these are the two contacts that have some sooting which i'm hoping is the cause of the contact failiure.

IMG_2762_zpsb5b3ac4f.jpg

Still not answered about the 1s and 2s ?

Anyway with no coil it is less important.

Connect mains input one to each pole of the switch and the other end of each pole to one of the red/yellow pairs

It does not matter which end is which or which pole is which. You might find the mechanical layout will constrain which you use.

Obviously in choosing the terminals, check that when the switch closes, it does not short out the supply.

sorry myfordman, not on the ball today..

1. no coil, just a simple lever that you move to make teh contacts.

2. 1 connects to 1 and 2 to 2.

excuse my utter ignorance ion things electrical, but whats the best way to check for shorting?

input to one of the 1s and one of the 2s
motor to the other 1 and 2

no need to check for shorts now you mentioned the connections

wizard":1p0eqgnz said:
this is a big planer

Mine's Better :D
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1417025445544.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417025445544.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417025445544.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 92
Is that the best you lot can do??
We have a new guy here asking for help and all you can do is a 'mine is bigger than yours' routine.
:)

Hi Gavinr,

I started a thread not too long ago about replacing my Tarplaner's switch. Here's the link (click) I ordered some replacement switches from the US and they arrived yesterday, so I'll be updating my thread once I've repaired the tool.

I'd be happy to sell you a switch if it comes to it, though going by your photos my switches look considerably larger and may not fit your planer.

wizard":kxnjtej2 said:
Maybe but you do not have a ripsnorter
Oh, but I do :wink: A new blade with an enlarged bore from Cutting Solutions was delivered this morning for the saw.

thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated, that was the fix, powered up and off beautifully, runs very sweetly... and just one slight electric shock because i'm an silly person and touched a terminal when i was testing the switch before installing!

and as for size, i personally always reckon its not what you got but what you do with it! ; )

aha, i have enough permission now to see photos. those old tools are classic, i love that tarplaner. i may well have to look for one of those now as well as buy a few bits and pieces for polishing them.

wizard":jy28dw8p said:
if you like old tools the ripsnorter

Mine's better;)
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1417123601607.jpg[/attachment]

:D

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417123601607.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417123601607.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 34
Back