Windows automaticlly re-booting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to disable Window's frustrating action of automatically re-booting when it has done an update?

It's happened to me twice today at the most awkward moment. The first was when I was backing up a hard disk. The backup got to within a few megabytes of completion when Windows decided to reboot - a couple of hours wasted.

The second time, on a different computer, I had left Premiere rendering a video which was then to be burned to disk. After about an hour Windows just decided to re-booted - another hour wasted.

Grrrrr - Why don't Microsoft let me decide when to turn off my computer? :evil: :evil:

Brian,

I think that if you set the updates to be notified to you, then choose to down load them when its convenient, this problem can be avoided. Also when you do install take the advanced option, this lets you see what updates are going to be installed and even if you accept all of them without changing anything, windows will say it wants to reboot but give you the option of doing it later. It will keep popping up a request to reboot but you can just say no until you are ready for it to happen.

DaveL":1eysp15f said:
It will keep popping up a request to reboot but you can just say no until you are ready for it to happen.

Hi Dave.

It was asking me this question this morning when I was backing up the hard disk. Trouble is, it rebooted later when my back was turned..!

regards

Brian

It has just happened to me. I was reading a post and it just closed down, no request or warning at all. Perhaps it's just this update

I have looked into this before. I think it's bordering on the illegal that MS can force your PC to reboot. AFAIK there is no way to turn it off unless you disable Automatic Updates.

I don't at this minute know what my settings are but my machines only ever apply (unattended) updates upon shutdown. (various versions of XP).

The only niggle is that the downloads occasionally take up a fair bit of bandwidth at times making other downloads a little slow for a few minutes.

In Control Panel, Open the Security Center, Click Automatic updates and select the option Notify me but don't download or install them.

This lets you see the updates and won't ask for the reboot until you install them

Malc

The thing to watch out for is XP service pack 3. Apparently it's causing a lot of compatibility problems.

My PCs seem to work fine at the whatever update level they are at so I won't be doing any more updates.

Just had a suggestion from another forum, which reads:

Go to system propeties, advanced, startup and recovery and uncheck automatic reboot. Click apply.

I've done this, so now I'm just waiting for the next update to see what happens.

Quite a few people suggest turning automatic updates off, but if I do this and only do manual updates, I won't know which ones to do.

regards

Brian

That start up and recovery option just means it will show you the blue screen of death on error instead of automatically rebooting - nothing to do with updates I think.

Just checked two of my machines and they are both set for Automatic Updates (23.00 hrs) with no notification options, both only update on shutdown!! , but the download time is whenever it feels like it so don't know where the time setting comes in :duno:

upd.JPG

Back