Wind

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And a study was needed to reach this startling conclusion??

Anyone can see that the damn things spend most of time not moving.

If our local ones are typical they seem to be somewhat unreliable as producers, we never seem to see anything like all working at one time.

Roy.

Those first model T fords where really efficient when they were invented too..
Wind power is still in it's infancy and over time they will get more efficient. This and other energy production styles are the way forward.

The analyses were compiled by Allan Tubb, a former power engineer, on behalf of the Campaign to Limit Onshore Wind Development (CLOWD)

An independent study then :roll:

Mattty":2mnegxlq said:
Those first model T fords where really efficient when they were invented too..
Wind power is still in it's infancy and over time they will get more efficient. This and other energy production styles are the way forward.

I wonder what % efficiency a modern car typically operates at? I genuinely don't know, but would be surprised if it topped 50-60%. The efficiency argument is the one that is usually used to attempt to rubbish wind farms, but I wonder how well the figures compare against other similarly large pieces of machinery.

Anybody know?

An independent study then

If you look below the original data is available for you to check.

based on data published by Ofgem showing the capacity and performance of Britain's renewable power generators. The original data can be found at https://www.renewablesandchp.ofgem.gov.uk/

Effiency is likely to be no different in actual generating terms to any other electrical generator. But the effiency will be zero when the wind falls below a certain figure, so even if the prime generator was 100 per cent efficient it would still be useless at low wind speeds.

Roy.

Unlike gas turbines when the gas is switched off or coal power stations when there is no coal?

Digit":1f5vphx7 said:
An independent study then

If you look below the original data is available for you to check.

based on data published by Ofgem showing the capacity and performance of Britain's renewable power generators. The original data can be found at https://www.renewablesandchp.ofgem.gov.uk/ .

Maybe it can be found there, but it doesn't seem to count as 'available' to me.

Coal we are not short of, and the non security of gas supplies seems a damn poor reason to me to switch to even less secure wind supplies.

Roy.

Digit":2b8f32sz said:
Coal we are not short of, and the non security of gas supplies seems a damn poor reason to me to switch to even less secure wind supplies.

Roy.

Coal burning produces carbon. Gas- burning produces carbon- fine don't use it. Wind- why who's going to nick that?

Come back Mike G.

Well Jake ofgem don't seem to be complaining do they. If he fiddled the figures I imagine they would have something to say wouldn't you?

Roy.

So what's the answer then Digit?

It's easy to pick fault with everything and simply say "this won't work", "that won't work", but it doesn't add much value in solving the problem. What's your view? What should we do to safeguard our children's/grandchildren's future in say 100 years time?

How do we reduce our overall carbon output? How do we reduce our reliance on non renewable energy sources? You say we have plenty of coal, and that's true today, but it will run out someday.

Craig

Wind generation always seems such an emotive issue and invariably invokes NIMBYism. Yet it seems throughout Europe there is a different attitude considering the number of turbines already installed.

My brother lives in France as says they deal with this in a totally different way. It seems that approval is not a protracted business. Near to him they have just had two clusters of five turbines installed and this is being repeated throughout his and surrounding regions.

Closer to home, we used to live at Emborough (in the Mendips and literally just down the road from Interesting Timbers). Before we left there was an ongoing battle to get permission for a single turbine and subsequently this has been given approval and installed
1254437_53373633.jpg

We now hear that many of the locals that objected are now proud of the installation.

Personally, I like the look of wind turbines and find it soothing to watch them in action - in the same way as watching the sea or large stretch of water.

We'd like to have a decent sized wind generator here but (of course) the NIMBY mentality is rampant. Yet these same people rave about the wonderful Halnaker windmill.

Recent rules about the siting of windmills are (supposedly) moving towards approval being given with minimal beaurocracy, unless in a conservation area. Yet Chichester Harbour Conservation Area want to be able to stop any such building in area that can bee seen from the conservation area - so they should be destoying Halnaker Windmill as it doesn't fit within their wishes.

518.jpg

I believe we should alll be doing what we can to alleviate the effects of climate change not only for ourselves but for our present and future families. To continually complain that some thing isn't highly efficient is a reason to do nothing seems not to be common sense. We should all be doing a bit and then these bits will add up to a lot. Anything that can reduce the dependence on imported oil, coal and gas must make sense.

Rant over!

Misterfish

CraigyBoy":2u41gz31 said:
The analyses were compiled by Allan Tubb, a former power engineer, on behalf of the Campaign to Limit Onshore Wind Development (CLOWD)

An independent study then :roll:

It always makes me laugh when I see reports like this dismissed with this type of comment. About 90%, if not more, of reports on climate change are produced by non independent bodies so if you dismiss this one because of that then you must also dismiss all the others.

Just a thought.

john

From a reliability view point Craig, currently, coal or nuclear. As you say, criticism is easy, but so is day dreaming. Would you buy a car that could only run one day in three?
During a three day spell in June last year the wind generators through out the country produce 2 per cent of their rated out put.
For the future wave power and geothermal are also likely reliable producers.

Roy.

Latest posts

Back