Will Brexit affect companies that import lots like Axminster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wallace":1kafupzw said:
' voted for xenophobia, isolationism. racism and a recession '

:shock: What a crock, we voted out because of 40 years of being told what to do, fishing industry gone, heavy industry gone, steel industry going. When free movement was allowed estimates were 15K coming to Britain the real figure was 300k. It had nothing to do with xenophobia or racism and we are already in a recession. :D

I think you have some factual problems there...

Anyways, what about my retirement in Italy plans now? Up in smoke!

Mods, why not shovel all this bad tempered Euro stuff back into the Off Topic section where it belongs?

I think a Veritas price rise was in the offing before the vote anyway so it could be a double whammy.
If you were interested in a something it might be worthwhile to make a few enquirers, quickly.

Eric The Viking":9bxq36s0 said:
Bodgers":9bxq36s0 said:

Why?
Once out there is no right to remain to live and work in another EU country. The union gives you that. That will be gone. Best to hope for after that is a 90 day visa waiver for a holiday/visit.

Bodgers":pd0p1lw9 said:
Eric The Viking":pd0p1lw9 said:
Bodgers":pd0p1lw9 said:

Why?
Once out there is no right to remain to live and work in another EU country. The union gives you that. That will be gone. Best to hope for after that is a 90 day visa waiver for a holiday/visit.

Genuinely, I doubt Italy will want to lose your custom.

People had homes in Europe before we joined the EU, and elsewhere too. Much depends on how nasty the EU bureaucracy wants to be, but the economic value of retirees will be obvious to many countries.

custard":1xrxrytp said:
Mods, why not shovel all this bad tempered Euro stuff back into the Off Topic section where it belongs?

It probably belongs in the back corner of every dingy pub in the country. At least comments that people may regret later will soon be forgotten rather than recorded for all to see.

I was hoping it would stick to one thread instead of spilling it's guts everywhere!

Coley

Of course one option is to buy British, we are certainly blessed in the range of handtools we have from which to choose. These companies might see an uptick in custom from overseas as well until the pound fully recovers.

Hopefully this comment won't get me labeled as xenophobic.

Biliphuster":2ihpyv76 said:
Of course one option is to buy British,
A worthy sentiment, but UK made hand power tools ?
Similarly, smaller machinery like table saws, bandsaws, planers, lathes etc

Biliphuster":1nwucowt said:
Of course one option is to buy British, we are certainly blessed in the range of handtools we have from which to choose. These companies might see an uptick in custom from overseas as well until the pound fully recovers.

Hopefully this comment won't get me labeled as xenophobic.

Of course it's not xenophobic to buy British tools or hope that the weak pound is good news for British export industry, for me that is the silver lining of brexit. There is obviously some confusion about what xenophobia is if you think that anyone would label you for this comment. However as mentioned the off topic section is a more suitable place to discuss this, in this section we should perhaps stick to what unites us (or divides us) as wood workers. My granddad was an immigrant to this country who came to work in Sheffield in the 1920s and I was brought up proud of British industry as well as my Irish immigrant heritage.

Paddy Roxburgh":1s5nvpjn said:
There is obviously some confusion about what xenophobia is if you think that anyone would label you for this comment.

Actually Paddy you labeled me as a xenophobe and a racist in your comment on page 1 of this thread. Maybe it's best not to go round calling people racists and xenophobes at all for simply voting differently to you.

Biliphuster":5xomv3eq said:
Paddy Roxburgh":5xomv3eq said:
There is obviously some confusion about what xenophobia is if you think that anyone would label you for this comment.

Actually Paddy you labeled me as a xenophobe and a racist in your comment on page 1 of this thread. Maybe it's best not to go round calling people racists and xenophobes at all for simply voting differently to you.

Not for buying British tools.

FWIW I don't think that everyone who voted leave is necessarily a racist or a xenophobe, isolationist or wants a recession, but they voted for those things, manipulated by a load of rich boy Tories and UKIPers and journalists claiming to be "men of the people". It's done now so let's hope the weak pound helps Ashley llses and Clifton et al.

Just a note on currency it hasn't changed a lot. Went from 147 last week to finish at 137 on Friday. (Pretty certain those figures are about right without checking). It is likely to fluctuate a little but the FTSE rallied a lot by the end of Friday and if we remain positive then we'll be fine. I do think a lot of negativity is its own cause of decline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoStu":2snr266a said:
FTSE rallied a lot by the end of Friday.

Depends which FTSE, 100 rallied but the big boys are multinationals so their businesses are not so exposed to UK fortunes. 250 didn't rally - more domestic exposure.

Not that anything much apart from sentiment can be gleaned in the short term reaction of markets.

Talking with my timber suppliers, exit will not make to much difference in the short term.

Most importers are working 6 to 12 months ahead.

Down the road it will be sorted as the UK is a major importer so they will not want to lose the business.

The important thing now is the politicians to get their buttocks into gear and sort things out and get the 1922 committee out of the bar and get a new leader in place, instead of Cucumbering off somewhere hot for the summer and leaving it until October.

DiscoStu":nymw13qe said:
Just a note on currency it hasn't changed a lot.
Shifts of -7% (dollar), -10% (Yen), -8%(most S American & Africans) in one day is quite a lot by recent standards.
The telling time will be the middle of next week once the scale of change is starting to be understood. Almost everyone, including Farrage by all accounts, thought this was going the other way until the middle of Friday night. There will be frantic consideration and planning over this weekend, next week the real reaction will start to become clear. Let's hope the markets are as optimistic as the Brexiters or there'll be trouble ahead.

Sorry guys, regardless on my opinions I genuinely just wanted to get people's take on how it may affect us as a woodworker, in particular with future large-ish purchases (I have some in mind)... I didn't want it to turn into a bit of a peeing contest. But thank you for the info just the same

Back