Why is Lidl so Cheap?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find their many of their own brands (not all) much better than many proprietary brands, the frozen fish e.g. is way better than many. The quality of the fruit and veg is way better than any other around here, we go out of our way for it, it's cheaper and better.

Strangely, I've just built a big kitchen for one of the top men at Aldi. His wife does all her shopping at tesco!

Maybe I'm better organised than some. I do the big shop at the beginning of the month, and I start with B&M where I get the things I know to be cheaper there, then across the road to the market where I get what I know is cheaper there. Then back past Lidl where I get what I want and know is cheaper there and the back to Tesco for anything for some reason or other has not beeen bought already. All one trip - swmbo hates it ... but she knows how much money I save by doing it. Every second month I do a Buywholefoodsonline order which covers cereals, spices and dried stuff.

What do people think about Parkside tools? I have bought some Toolzone stuff from Aldi which seem fine for the occasional user like me, but I haven't tried Parkside from Lidl.

K

Workzone (Aldi) has a greater range of tools I think and are a bit cheaper in most cases. Parkside tools seem to be better made and look and feel better in my experience. Tools from both shops though have performed well for me so far.

I wouldn't call Lidl Super Cheap.. however the product quality are soo much better than that from the tesco/asda , specially the asda which is just disgusting...
Before you start.. I'm not from UK and not living there currently however I have been there for several months at a time and the only shops where I could shop are LIDL/ALDI because A LOT of british made food tastes like utter junk and is full or processed stuff.. While Lidl import most of their Food from Germany/belgium/netherlands/even poland where it has better quality.

I have been several times in Germany's LIDL's as well, and those are so much better than UK ones and also much cheaper, but still Lidl has the best quality stuff for a more sensible price when compared to other UK stores, I'm sure If I could spend £3 for a loaf of bread or £10 per kg of meat at other UK stores the quality would be similar. But I'm not that retarded or as you say ''posh'' to do that.. So I will just stick to LIDL when I'm there from time to time and want to survive on your supermarket food which is really a hard thing to do :D

I don't really like Aldi as much on the other hand as the food quality isn't as good as from Lidl. Only went there for some fruit/vegetable when it was on offer.

edit: Other positive thing for Lidl/Aldi is that they don't have those ''ugly store brand'' product packagings, all of their packagings are just Normal (their own brand mostly ) but all is nicely designed.
On the other hand when I had to go to other british supermarkets there were shelves full of those value-budget products which come in really really poor packaging ,and you feel like a Homeless man buying those items even quality wise they are probably the same as others just marketed as something totally ''cheap'' so you don't actually buy them out of shame of someone seeing you buying them.

Never been to lidl but shop at Aldi which i think is owned the the same people?

I think its more to do with the fact they aint fussy like asda and tesco's - i mean they have people checking veg for not being a perfect shape and other daft things which will no doubt raise prices for perfectly shaped produce.

Aldi dont seem to care and nor do i so i use aldi for veg and meats

As far as the goods are concerned I've not had a problem with the major items, sure a few of the parkside things like drillbits have let me down on occasion but the bigger ticket things are seemingly just very good value - my pillar drill 500w, german made (not chinglish as assumed by Rhyolith) 3 year guarentee etc etc is better in just about every way compared to a similar priced one from any major tool retailer - I know because I was looking ahead of time. 3 years on almost and it's still humming away nicely - along with a lot of the other power tools I've bought.

Another thing many of you have overlooked to mention is that as well as the mainstream supermarkets having more choice, this also adds to an incredible amount of unsold product, both food and other goods. How much this adds to their general overheads I can't guess but it must be significant.

Also I've noticed more and more mainstream supermarkets opening and closing branches seemingly willy nilly, we had a small morrisons "express" that had been shoehorned into a small site open and close within 18 months or so - could have something to do with that fact that there was already a large asda and sainsbury's not much more than a mile away, but this seems to happen a LOT.

Our local B&Q closed down, it was one of their biggest stores in the area to start with, then it got cut in half (the other side left empty) and now it's closed altogether, I mention it because I found out some while ago that that site is owned by the large sainsbury's on the other side of the road, they must have bought it when that small commericial park first opened, but now it sits idle not making any revenue - I have to wonder how many more sites are owned by the big supermarkets, usually to earmark it as a potential supermarket location, but not utilized yet and not generating income; because all of that will add to their yearly losses and be a reason to keep prices higher than maybe they could be.

Lastly, right after the crash of '09 did anyone else notice how all of a sudden prices just came tumbling down, and with the major campaigns of Aldi the last few xmas's and poundshops flourishing everywhere prices came down again? I'm certain I never used to see quite so many items being offered in major supermarkets for a pound. Even now I wonder how is it places like farm foods can sell 3 tins of heinz baked beans for £1 when they are around 60p per tin in a major store.... and then you look around and it's obviously the Lidl / aldi effect: small store, sparse choice and basic presentation.

I don't know about you but I don't go to a supermarket to be "entertained" with the adult equivalent of a babies sparkly mobile overhead.

I have bought a few tools from Lidl and Aldi. In general I am unimpressed despite cheapness. I tend to regard them as disposable:

Two rakes, bought for grading type 1 stone and gravel on a paved area I made. Both rakes bent early on. Fail
Two pairs secateurs, bought as back ups when parents in law visit. Heavy and unpleasant to use compared with Felco. Felco cost 10 times more and worth it.
Shovels with long handles - bought for shifting building sand. Very good.
Large electric drill bought as backup. Too heavy and somewhat feeble battery. Impulse buy, tried to give it away and was refused (by overly fussy offspring!)
Long (about 2ft) masonry drills. Bought for a one off job. They did it.
Set of about 40 spanners. Cost £27. Includes wall hanging case. Far better than expected. Really very good and stupidly cheap.
Palm sander purchased by wife. Junk.
Chop saw bought by brother. Junk. Laser misaligned, mechanism stiff, rubbish blade.
Pair of pry bars / long crow bars. Excellent.

So, some stuff is good, some not. Very low risk as it is dirt cheap. As for the food and wine, I am not really swayed by much of it. My wife is German and she quite likes lidl and aldi. Aldi is seen as marginally more upmarket according to her.

murdoch":1pjft2di said:
Strangely, I've just built a big kitchen for one of the top men at Aldi. His wife does all her shopping at tesco!

doubt they will have an Aldi close then if he is a top man at aldi ;)

graduate_owner":xkpaf1zo said:
What do people think about Parkside tools? I have bought some Toolzone stuff from Aldi which seem fine for the occasional user like me, but I haven't tried Parkside from Lidl.

K

all performing fine for my uses :

SDS drill from Lidl as needed to plumb the washing machine and dishwasher and no wall holes, did that fine as well as helping to break up the concrete sections in the garden when we bough it to patio and renovate. the only issue is the twist switch is difficult to move, but some pliars give enough twist.

Circular saw : again cheap (and lidl has them this week i think again), 2 blades and done everything i have asked, kitchen worktops, trimming 6ft fence panels, raised beds, and with the rip blade cutting shed sides down to fit to a small trailer.

also i have an aldi router that was £30 i think, again does the job fine so far.

I'm a convert. Average weekly type shop on basics is about £70 cheaper than bigger competitors. I find certain products superior to sainsburys or tesco. The steak for example is excellent, not had a bad one yet. You have to be able to adapt a little in your brand familiarity at first and experiment a bit. Lidles chips are rubbish! Certain things aren't available. I get my coffee elsewhere. :shock:
If you cook from scratch a lot then I can't really see the point in paying extra for the basics.
As for shopping 'experience' well let's face it you're in and out like the SAS and that suits me fine. If I wanted to be comforted that I was a better class of person I'd go to waitrose. Fortunately I'm under no such illusions. :D
Personally I'd prefer to shop around a bit and keep my hard earned in my pocket.

In terms of sustainability at least food wise, I'd guess there's far less waste generated by this business model than the bigger supermarkets. It just doesn't allow for high levels of waste. In terms of the throwaway culture it's no more guilty than any other shop. Less so maybe.

Can't see that buying a throwaway hard point saw there is any different from buying one at a builders merchant. Of course there are problems with the throwaway culture, I'm just not sure why you think it's the fault of one shop more than any other. Try convincing your average diy'er or the average professional working to real world price/time constraints (the lion's share of the market), they should be after a Disston saw that they can reset and resharpen. Let me know how you get on. :D
I agree with you on the throwaway culture btw. I just can't see a way round it in real terms.
Cheers
Chris

What's that you say Skippy? You go well with a nice chilled bottle of riesling? Awww. Cheers cobber. You did it again Skip.

I shop at Aldi/Lidl regularly for a range of basics which I consider to be good quality and cheaper than the main supermarkets also some of their specials are very good use Asda Tesco for other bits and peices cant get at Aldi Lidl,I have bought items I would not buy again but if you dont try you dont know

Back