Where to get hold of spalted beech

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billw

The Tattooed One
Reaction score
Allo

I'm in need of two pretty hefty lumps of spalted beech - 40"x10"x0.25" when they're finished. I've located some but the spalting wasn't on the entire plank which would look a bit weird on the finished project.

Anyone know where is a reliable source of said wood?

I expect a local supplier would be preferable for you, but it could be worth checking with Stiles & Bates. They list bowl and spindle blanks in spalted beech, so they may well have planks available.

I've never visited them but have purchased mail-order. They were very accommodating and helpful, and I was pleased with the timber they sent me.

HTH

Neil

I read an article recently (I think in a magazine - in which case it was probably Fine Woodworking but it may have been online...) about spalting your own.

Can't find the article right now but if all else fails that might be worth considering (if you are not in too much of a hurry... it takes a few months I think)

Sorry to be so vague...

I was reading an article in an old F&C about the same thing, but I need it sooner rather than later so the DIY route probably isn't a go-er.

I have tried some of the suggestions above but have been dead ends so far, most people have lots of the stuff for turning blanks but not in boards. I have considered veneer but in all honesty I'd be much happier not using the stuff on the project.

HI

Nigel at English Hardwoods has some nice planks in stock at the moment and I think he does mail order.

His details are

Nigel.
English Hardwoods
Geddington Sawmill
Grafton road
Geddington
Northants
NN14 1AJ

http://www.multimap.com/s/DPub4WMU

Please ring 07979 251 497

john

John - many thanks for that lead, Nigel rang me today to say he's got exactly what I need sitting ready for me to pick up.

I'm now waiting for a free Saturday to drive down and pick them up from him. :D

Dont forget to take a lot of money as I am sure you will find lots of other wood to buy, well I always do. :D

john

I visited my local coal merchants yard to collect some Mushroom Compost a few weeks ago, as so much of their buisness is timber for burning, there is always an awful lot laying about, they had some very large Horse Chestnut Trees there that were so well spalted I tried to persuade him to cut up for usable timber, but to no avail, What A Waste., there was also a lot of usable Ash, some Oak and some Beech.
Derek.

Back