Where to buy proper floorboards?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerS":q53vkr55 said:
LFS19..are you sure that the damp on top of the floorboards isn't a leak from the shower door/frame? If you have a leak from the waste pipe then that is below the level of the floorboards.

MikeJhn...what would you use on a stud wall if not plasterboard ?

Perhaps it is the door, but could the door really cause all that damage coming into the other room?

Regarding the waste pipe - 90% will be running under neath the floorboards, but I'm wondering even if it's just that small section that runs from the plug hole to underneath the floorboards.

Then there's the issue with water leaking through the ceiling. It wouldn't happen with a short shower, but with a longer one.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LFS19":2rq5flma said:
RogerS":2rq5flma said:
LFS19..are you sure that the damp on top of the floorboards isn't a leak from the shower door/frame? If you have a leak from the waste pipe then that is below the level of the floorboards.

Perhaps it is the door, but could the door really cause all that damage coming into the other room?

Regarding the waste pipe - 90% will be running under neath the floorboards, but I'm wondering even if it's just that small section that runs from the plug hole to underneath the floorboards.

Then there's the issue with water leaking through the ceiling. It wouldn't happen with a short shower, but with a longer one.

Thanks

I've not read through all the thread but we had a similar problem in our house. The person who installed our shower 20+ years ago was a numpty :oops: and at the time didn't know what they know now. So the backer for the tiles in the shower was not correct, the tiles and grout developed cracks and leaks which got behind the tiles, soaked into the backer, dripped everywhere and through everywhere.

The solution was to rip it all out and re-install using proper backer boards suitable for a waterproof environment. Also some shower trays in the early days did not have upstands and so a crack at the bottom between tiles and shower tray and silicon was inevitable leading to water ingress there.

It could well be the cubicle that is leaking, especially if it was fitted by someone not so knowledgeable and even if it was fitted by someone in the know, it could still develop a leak somewhere. Just a small one would cause a bit of damage over a long period of time. I have fitted quite a few showers and yet my waste pipe still managed to work it's way loose and soak my kitchen ceiling bringing down a length of plaster coving. I hadn't tightened it properly in my haste and it parted after about a year. It needs some investigation as it could be leaking from any number of places and may be as simple as removing old sealant and re-sealing. Another area showers leak is the join up the corner where the tiles meet. People grout this join but that's not the correct way to do it as it invariably cracks with natural movement. Sealant matched to the grout is the correct way as it's flexible.

RogerS":bna1zbom said:
LFS19":bna1zbom said:
RogerS":bna1zbom said:

Thanks

I've not read through all the thread but we had a similar problem in our house. The person who installed our shower 20+ years ago was a numpty :oops: and at the time didn't know what they know now. So the backer for the tiles in the shower was not correct, the tiles and grout developed cracks and leaks which got behind the tiles, soaked into the backer, dripped everywhere and through everywhere.

The solution was to rip it all out and re-install using proper backer boards suitable for a waterproof environment. Also some shower trays in the early days did not have upstands and so a crack at the bottom between tiles and shower tray and silicon was inevitable leading to water ingress there.

Yep. We've certainly had our problems with bad plumbers.
We've had one (and this was one recommended by multiple people) who has caused an absolute ton of issues.
This one we're having now is very likely something that he's caused.

We've having all the tiles off and obviously the base off, so we'll also be re-doing the lot and ripping it out as you've done.

God knows what we'll find..

Thanks

skipdiver":22rtl52x said:
It could well be the cubicle that is leaking, especially if it was fitted by someone not so knowledgeable and even if it was fitted by someone in the know, it could still develop a leak somewhere. Just a small one would cause a bit of damage over a long period of time. I have fitted quite a few showers and yet my waste pipe still managed to work it's way loose and soak my kitchen ceiling bringing down a length of plaster coving. I hadn't tightened it properly in my haste and it parted after about a year. It needs some investigation as it could be leaking from any number of places and may be as simple as removing old sealant and re-sealing. Another area showers leak is the join up the corner where the tiles meet. People grout this join but that's not the correct way to do it as it invariably cracks with natural movement. Sealant matched to the grout is the correct way as it's flexible.

Thanks,
Well as I said to roger, the plumber that fitted ours wasn't competent, so it's highly likely this is his doing; considering all the other problems we've had to rectify because of him.

Luckily we haven't had it quite as bad as that with the ceiling leak.
Ours a contained dripping, and only if the person in the shower was in there for too long.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to look into those points on the web and see if I can see anything that points to one of those.

Just called the plumber (not the same one) and he's going to give us a quote for the entire bathroom re-doing.
It needs redecorating anyway, and along with this issue with the shower the bath also is on its last legs so it's best just the rip the lot out.
R.I.P wallet!

I'd decided I'm just going to put new skirting boards in. When I've looked at them in detail there are a lot of broken areas that have been badly repaired as well as damp.

I've had the board off on the wall next to the one in question.
The walls are bricked, luckily, so even though there was something that sounded hollow in that area; the lath and plaster work seems to only go as far as that wall where the bathroom is.

I know it's hard to tell from a few pictures (I'll likely have to get a builder in to have a look in the flesh) but does this appear fairly standard?
I'm reluctant to take away any more of the skirting for fear I'll uncover something that requires immediate attention.

The plumber is coming next week, so I'll finally have an answer as to where the leak has originated and what needs to be done to fix it and repair the damage.

be3eedbb7ed3ba00b9644b1f32046d2d.jpg
4e560b4296253d94b13bb4afef2e03c1.jpg

dd246e056c10cebc77a7fd0651068da9.jpg

A taller skirting can hide a multitude of sins, just scrape off the filler still on the wall and fit the new ones.

Mike

You are dealing with years of other peoples alterations. Doors get blocked up and doors opened up into walls that didn't previously have them. Walls get put in, taken out, boarded over, re-skimmed. Cupboards get removed, floors get patched up after plumbers and electricians. If the walls in question are fairly sound and the leak sorted, then just fit your new skirting and redecorate. Put down a carpet or laminate floor on good underlay and forget about it.

I would have removed it all and started afresh but i have the knowledge to do that and only have to pay for materials. For someone like yourself, just keep it simple and stick to the basics.

skipdiver":1o7zys5k said:
You are dealing with years of other peoples alterations. Doors get blocked up and doors opened up into walls that didn't previously have them. Walls get put in, taken out, boarded over, re-skimmed. Cupboards get removed, floors get patched up after plumbers and electricians. If the walls in question are fairly sound and the leak sorted, then just fit your new skirting and redecorate. Put down a carpet or laminate floor on good underlay and forget about it.

I would have removed it all and started afresh but i have the knowledge to do that and only have to pay for materials. For someone like yourself, just keep it simple and stick to the basics.
Useful trick is to shine a powerful torch against/along a wall - it may pick up the ghostly outline of previous alterations, as well as showing that everybody's plastering is carp under a bright light!

Jacob":niqw30ht said:
skipdiver":niqw30ht said:

Useful trick is to shine a powerful torch against/along a wall - it may pick up the ghostly outline of previous alterations, as well as showing that everybody's plastering is carp under a bright light!

My mate used to do all the plastering on our jobs and if there was patching in, he would just skim the whole wall instead. Said it was easier and less faffing about.

Right that makes sense. I'll just sort the leak out and do the basic stuff I can.

Polish plasterers are the best because if there's any remedial work needed doing before painting due to duff plastering then the Polish plasterer foots the bill.

By the way, is it likely my walls will contain asbestos? I was reading online that old plaster often contained asbestos, and I've been taking wall paper off all week; where there are inevitably divots in the wall and crumbled pieces that pull away with the paper...

I believe the room was done in either the 70s or 80s.

skipdiver":l2vu8nli said:
Not heard of asbestos in plaster. Artex yes.

Well we don't have any artex, luckily. I was scraping away at the wall today and some small amounts of white plaster came away and I panicked slightly.

Looked it up online and apparently asbestos was often used in the mix.
Not sure whether they did it in this country or not.
Let's bloody hope not..

Asbestos was regularly used in plaster up to the end of the 1960/70's although this was mostly in industrial buildings, I would doubt that your plaster or walls contain it, but do take care with your roof soffit and barge boards, these where very often constructed with Asbestos sheet.

Mike

MikeJhn":2taioafq said:
Asbestos was regularly used in plaster up to the end of the 1960/70's although this was mostly in industrial buildings, I would doubt that your plaster or walls contain it, but do take care with your roof soffit and barge boards, these where very often constructed with Asbestos sheet.

Mike

That's good to know then, thanks.

skipdiver":p190pta7 said:

:( And guess who's probably moving to a house with Artex ceilings :(

Tempted to plasterboard over and get it reskimmed. The plus side of removing it is that I can see where pipes run etc.

RogerS":3ej0yq69 said:
skipdiver":3ej0yq69 said:

:( And guess who's probably moving to a house with Artex ceilings :(

Tempted to plasterboard over and get it reskimmed. The plus side of removing it is that I can see where pipes run etc.

Some of it is actually a textured paper that just looks like artex.
We've had that in a few rooms.

Latest posts

Back