Where to buy cornice in the UK?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjward

Established Member
Reaction score
Building MDF wardrobes and want to finish them off with cornice at the top. Not overly fussed about material (as will be painted) but assume for stability reasons I am best sourcing wood versions and not plaster/hybrid etc. However, I am struggling to find places that sell it, maybe I'm searching the wrong term. Only managed to find a handful online and none at the main brick stores I know. The ones I found online were very expensive too at GBP13/m inc vat. Basically looking for something not to dissimilar to the below:

1670312087703.png

c8ee5f6f-7902-449d-81e8-36771e9ae09e.png

Unfortunately no joy. I'm in the hills and their delivery vehicles are too big to get here. Bizarrely they said I couldn't go them and collect either. The hunt continues. Have found a few more places online but will struggle with delivery. Ideally need a Yorkshire/Lancashire merchant that will allow in person in collection

You live up a hill in Yorkshire ?

Do you live near Duffield Timber, they offer a range of cornices you can collect.

Bought some pine cornice last week from Atlantic timber, Cheshire. For ease of posting it is supplied in 2.1 mtr. lengths but they can supply longer, though carriage no doubt would be higher. Received inside 24 hrs. ! I am on the South Coast so great service, particularly at this time of the year. As the moulding is designed to face fix, I attached a 18mm batten to the bevel then screwed down to the bookcase top.

Bought some pine cornice last week from Atlantic timber, Cheshire. For ease of posting it is supplied in 2.1 mtr. lengths but they can supply longer, though carriage no doubt would be higher. Received inside 24 hrs. ! I am on the South Coast so great service, particularly at this time of the year. As the moulding is designed to face fix, I attached a 18mm batten to the bevel then screwed down to the bookcase top.
Coincidentally just on their website last night and was thinking the same re 2.1m lengths and ease of delivery. I have a few 2.3m areas but will all be painted so think I'll get away with an odd join.

Howden/kitchen stuff I've had a look at. Definitely not ruling out but not found a design that works yet, seem to be quite modern designs.

Good suggestion on the router, found a few bits that would do. Not cheap but I've got a whole/large house to do so would pay for itself. The only issue is that I don't have a router table so need to have a good think about that route ie how much use it will get outside of making cornice

Screenshot_20221217-090614_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221217-090622_Chrome.jpg

You live up a hill in Yorkshire ?

Do you live near Duffield Timber, they offer a range of cornices you can collect.
A 3hr round trip so not out of the question, not heard of them but their site is very impressive, thanks 👍

This is where a spindle moulder comes into its own. You can get say a 100mm wide HSS cutter custom made for £100 (see piccy) so you can have any moulding you want and be totally unique. It will produce it safely, consistently and quickly taking the cut in one bite if the spindle is say a minimum of 3Kw. The cost of a secondhand spindle with a powerfeed is probably less than a new router and router table, and far more versatile.

I’ve just had these cutters made to replicate some architrave, this will be made on a spindle in one pass.

A1D3A203-B45A-463D-A947-C842202C60E4.jpeg

E7C89F06-CC87-4982-8720-51B9504B2E28.jpeg

Last edited:
Back