Where Australia leads we follow

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_P

Established Member
Reaction score
Did you know on this day the 14th of February 1966 (its the 14th already in Oz) they ditched Pounds shillings and pence (not the English pound) and transferred to the decimal system and the Australian Dollar .

We (the English) hung onto to that horrible system until 1971.

They also have plastic bank notes which we will be getting next year, they have had them since 1988.

Actually, pre-decimal coinage wasn't such a bad thing at all.

You can readily divide 12 by two, three, four and six. As someone who was a child at the changeover, I learned the old system and it wasn't actually hard. It also fitted well with imperial measures, which were/are handy human sizes (people often forget that). It's rather sad to watch my kids still struggle with fractions (in their twenties) - fractions haven't ceased to be important, but they're probably harder to properly master now, as there's less reason to practice.

There were computers doing accounting before decimal coinage. In fact the UK led the world in them, pre-IBM (LEO1).

Later on, there was the awkwardness of doing floating point arithmetic on early PCs. I owned at least two generations of PC dedicated maths co-processors** that actually weren't very good at "doing sums." They output errors, as did many early office calculators.

Pre-decimal coinage didn't eliminate the floating point issue as 'stretching' computer power, but it wasn't the huge handicap it's often made out to be, and in daily life was handier than might be expected. If you add-back halfpennies and farthings, the fractions get even more useful, so your shilling is easily divided by 2, 3, 4, 6 & 8 (and almost 7*). Only x5 is a significant problem requiring a decimal point.

And it's convenient to pack items in twos, fours and sixes, rather than fives - wood screws, hinges, etc being good examples - who wants five hinges?

E.

(coincidentally, was in a pub quiz last night - hardly anyone knew a threepenny bit had twelve facets!)
**8087, 80287, I think also the one onboard some versions of 80386
*48 is very nearly 7x7. As there 14lb in 1 stone, it had some utility.

Eric The Viking":2c37q454 said:
And it's convenient to pack items in twos, fours and sixes, rather than fives - wood screws, hinges, etc being good examples - who wants five hinges?..........
Yes, many things still come in dozens. Eggs, canned beer, buns, rolls, roses, Druacell batteries etc ............

Who wants five hinges? No one. But what use are pairs when we fit three to a door? A recently deceased friend of mine, a pharmacist, once pointed out that prescription drug overdoses were much more uncommon when imperial measurements were used, as there was no decimal point error. I remember buying potatoes in bushels. Of course, with all the hoo ha about kids learning tables recently, much was made about a twelve times table being unnecessary - one addition to the list in the last post is months in a year. Handy for working out monthly costs.

I had an interesting conversation with a young monumental sculptor a while back.

He pointed out many advantages with imperial measure most of which I have forgotten.

The point about dividing up a dozen gives many more possibilities than dividing up 10.

He also said that his suppliers would not even converse in metric. Talk imperial or not at all.

I was quite surprised and a little pleased by hearing this.

RogerP":1s9je3c3 said:
Eric The Viking":1s9je3c3 said:
And it's convenient to pack items in twos, fours and sixes, rather than fives - wood screws, hinges, etc being good examples - who wants five hinges?..........
Yes, many things still come in dozens. Eggs, canned beer, buns, rolls, roses, Druacell batteries etc ............

In the home of metrication, eggs come in 10's :D

Alex H":3otdjmx9 said:
RogerP":3otdjmx9 said:
Eric The Viking":3otdjmx9 said:

In the home of metrication, eggs come in 10's :D
Ah but they're foreign eggs :D

Someone (probably the bl00dy eu) had the evidently sensible idea to alter the measure of a bottle of wine from 70cl. up to 75cl. Perfectly obvious - easy comparison with a litre or a one and a half litre. They then reverted to type and made spirits 70cl down from 75cl -brilliant! They also insisted on our optics being metricated - despite optics not being law anywhere else in the eu.

Metrication eh! well however old people are, when you ask them how tall they are they always tell you in feet and inches!!

Looking forward to a metric calendar - 10 hour day, 10 days per week, 10 weeks per year that will mean only time for an hours work per day and lots of Christmases (i'm going to ignore birthdays though)!

We live in hope

jonwhateley":21qeehuv said:
Metrication eh! well however old people are, when you ask them how tall they are they always tell you in feet and inches!!

Looking forward to a metric calendar - 10 hour day, 10 days per week, 10 weeks per year that will mean only time for an hours work per day and lots of Christmases (i'm going to ignore birthdays though)!

We live in hope

We're going to get dizzy with that 10 hour day - earth would need to spin significantly faster than now ie 24 hr day.

Mr-P.

Thanks for the Wiki link, interesting. I only remember the Wink Martindale version (I was a young lad in the RAF at the time and we didn't call him "Wink", we changed just one letter because that really was a sickly-sweet song!).

But even better remembered was a spoof version, not mentioned in your Wiki link, which, as I remember it, was hilarious - it finished with the line "I WAS that cricket bat". Can't remember much else about that one, nor who recorded it, but it was very funny at the time, especially compared with "Wink's" version.

Sorry for thread drift.

Krgds
AES

artie":39qysxx8 said:
I had an interesting conversation with a young monumental sculptor a while back.

He pointed out many advantages with imperial measure most of which I have forgotten.

The point about dividing up a dozen gives many more possibilities than dividing up 10.

He also said that his suppliers would not even converse in metric. Talk imperial or not at all.

I was quite surprised and a little pleased by hearing this.

Isn't that an arrastable offence 'here in Europe'? #-o

Back