What's the best way to cut wood straight with no TS?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyd

Established Member
Reaction score
cut wood, stright, and accurately with no table saw..

im not looking to cut anything to extream, mostly cutting timber down to size and maybe some plywood sheets (maybe).

Any techniques would be appreciated?

make yourself a sled for a cheap circular saw - if you search "saw sleds" or "saw rails" on here you should find pdfs etc

failing that you can clamp a straight edge to the work and run the edge of the saw against that.

band saw?

if you set the fence up correctly (as some arent nececarily square) then i would have thought that would work well,

put it this way, krenov used to use an 18" band saw for cutting ANYTHING to size and shape,

Sammy

Hand-saw plus shooting board for cross-cuts.

For rip cuts, circular saw or jig saw, and followed up with a router on a straight-edge to get a nice finish.

If solid wood, then you could straighten the edges up with a jointer plane.

matt":rxgmki9y said:
I get no tablesaw but what tools DO you have? Are we talking handsaw techniques or power tool, or both?

I'm surprised you even read this thread! :lol:

Matty. Would it be ok if you changed the thread title to something a bit more obvious. Like "What's the best way to cut straight without a TS" ?

I'd go with the circular saw and saw board for anything but small stock.

I asked the same question a few weeks ago and the advice was the same. I made a saw board like this one and it works a treat.

sawjig.jpg

The trick when making it is to cut the bottom piece (the larger one) with the top piece fixed in it's final place. That way you don't risk assembling it out of square and it saves measuring the distance from the saw bed side to the inside of the blade.

I only know this because I was advised to do the same and it works well.

Finally got my a**e into gear and made three of them today 940mm, 1500mm and 2442mm. I also made a chip guard for the saw plate at the same time. I used 1 piece of 12mm WBP cos I wanted to keep into fairly thin, and I'm hoping it'll last a little longer than MDF

Photo544.jpg

Photo543.jpg

£57 for the secondhand saw and £30 for the ply - bargain, wont be getting the festool in a hurry :lol:

These cutting guides work fine, but you do need a pair of good sawhorses.
and some cheap 50mm square as under-supports to cut into.

You can make one to fit your router too. For cleaning up edge grain for jointing.

Use the 'factory edge' of the MDF sheet as your datum.

HTH
John :)

mattyd":v7r7s2fn said:
. . . maybe some plywood sheets .

Any techniques would be appreciated?

easiest way is to get the timber yard to cut them for you. even the likes of b&q will cut down sheet goods for you - assuming you don't want 50 strips 60mm wide out of one sheet!

Latest posts

Back