What would YOU do?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-G

Established Member
Reaction score
I seem to have a tendency to 'overcook' the pudding - ie. very often I can't leave well alone and tend to add decoration where it isn't needed.

I've just made a T-Light stand from a piece of either Elm or Ash (don't know the provenance so can't be sure) and whilst there is some interesting grain it is quite subtle so I have a notion to add some burned lines to give it a lift.

The attached photo's show it from top and side plus two oblique views one 'as is' and one with the lines added via CorelDRAW.

Attachments

• T-Light - 3.png
    T-Light - 3.png
    230.4 KB · Views: 983
  • T-Light - 1.png
    T-Light - 1.png
    238.3 KB · Views: 983
  • T-Light - 2A.png
    T-Light - 2A.png
    224.7 KB · Views: 983
  • T-Light - 2.png
    T-Light - 2.png
    200.1 KB · Views: 983
I think it looks much better with the lines. They define the shapes clearly.

Would it be feasible for them to be made from contrasting wood glued into a groove or rebate, like the purfling on a guitar?

I vote for the lines too.
If you don't mind me saying though, IMHO I also think that the edges which you are thinking of lining currently appear rather rounded and undefined in the photos, which adds to the contrast in styles.

monkeybiter":i5ujdv35 said:
If you don't mind me saying though, IMHO I also think that the edges which you are thinking of lining currently appear rather rounded and undefined in the photos, which adds to the contrast in styles.

Me too :)

Cheers, Paul

Many thanks to everyone for the feedback. It looks like I have to add the lines :lol:

To be honest when I saw what it looked like after I’d ‘doctored’ the image in CorelDRAW I was fairly certain that they had to be done.

AndyT":4w71lyzo said:
I think it looks much better with the lines. They define the shapes clearly.

Would it be feasible for them to be made from contrasting wood glued into a groove or rebate, like the purfling on a guitar?
You’ve set me a challenge there Andy - I’ll have to see what I can do with some ebony. I’ve recently done some 1mm wide straight line work on a jewellery box (see below) - whether I can bend it to fit an 85mm dia ring (the top one) I’m not sure. The twin lines would be on a 120mm dia so should be easier.

monkeybiter":4w71lyzo said:
They are rounded over - a case of not having a very clear idea of what I really wanted before starting the piece and probably why I felt it needed something else.

Attachments

• Music Box.png
    Music Box.png
    180.2 KB · Views: 777
Lines now added.

As Andy suggested, I've inlaid them with 1mm sq. Ebony. Re-mounting naturally caused a few problems which necessitated a skim all over so the finished O/D is just under 120mm.

The grooves were cut with a 0.8mm dia burr in a Dremel and the top line was dowsed in hot water before being wrapped around a 90mm dia Aluminium billet and left for an hour before being glued into the groove.

The longest piece of Ebony I had on the shelf was only 300mm long so the twin lines had to be made from two lengths each (they needed to be 377mm). I'm pleased to say that a blind man would love to see the joins :)

Attachments

• T-Light - with Ebony Lines.png
    T-Light - with Ebony Lines.png
    237.1 KB · Views: 677
Brilliant!

I'm really glad that you rose to the challenge and did that. And I'm also impressed by the really sensible idea of manipulating the photo to explore the options.

Just out of curiosity, if we'd all said 'lines', would you have used the contrasting wood, or could you have got equally clear lines by painting them or some other technique?

AndyT":1iumgu5t said:
Brilliant!
I'm really glad that you rose to the challenge and did that. And I'm also impressed by the really sensible idea of manipulating the photo to explore the options.

Just out of curiosity, if we'd all said 'lines', would you have used the contrasting wood, or could you have got equally clear lines by painting them or some other technique?
I would never have contemplated 'painting'. My original idea was to burn them with 'Formica' (see the other thread) but your idea and prompting made a much better job. Thanks again for the inspiration.

Back