What wood is this...or, is this oak?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did you use in the crack of the dovetail key pic ?

Coley

n0legs":2cht5z05 said:
So you use the blowlamp method for releasing any air bubbles?
Ah, so it's resined! I feel like data's being transmitted to me at usb3 speed but my brain will only accept usb2 speed :)

Coley

ColeyS1":3sphn8f4 said:
n0legs":3sphn8f4 said:
So you use the blowlamp method for releasing any air bubbles?
Ah, so it's resined! I feel like data's being transmitted to me at usb3 speed but my brain will only accept usb2 speed :)

Coley

Well I'm guessing so, looks like a little overflow on the left hand frame near the corner.
Our man will be along soon and clear it up for us I expect :D

Liking it =D>

Morning.

I thought long ahead on this one, given I used so much resin in there, built the sides up and glued it all in place, so no run out or escaping - this time. Blowtorch as I couldn't find my hot air gun...it's somewhere in here.

Sorry, it's not obvious from the photo that it's got about 3 litres of resin in there. Always terrifying when the first half litre or so vanishes into the voids.

The bench with the "Dutchmen", bow ties whatever in them? You'll like this.

The gaps were huge, and I was relatively low on resin, so I rammed the filings that came from when I cut the legs into the holes as a filler and poured resin over them, so they have an interesting sparkle to them.

Think I used a cold cutting rage evolution saw on the mild steel tube which gives a beautiful blue "swarf". I'll take a close up in a bit.

This is when you say, not that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't really come across well in a photo.

60dfa7a1652c15d7d789d574318e765c.jpg

eed3821e0b96fcd8fb40a27804dfd59e.jpg

217cd58c77be109cd676c15a40f2cbe3.jpg

Here's the jig I had cut.

First time the company misread the end product, they sent me this...

7491f891402eefde23650cc57180caa9.jpg

Jeepers, that's some achievement !!! Wowsers, 3 litres sounds alot ! did you use west system type epoxy resin, or much cheaper fibreglass resin ? I kind of feel like I'm cheating by taking all your hard earned experience :) thanks for all the info.......so far ;)

Coley
Edit, I also looked at clear casting resin.....

Just a cheaper epoxy resin from eBay. I'll PM you the exact product if you like but searching for "Epoxy Resin DPM 5kg" will bring up the stuff.

I've been through a few of those so far and the service from Future Resins has been excellent.

Where are you based? If you were local you could come and use the jig, it produces excellent results, absolutely bang on fitting.

That'll be enough info thanks for me to find it. To be honest I'm not sure keys wood add much to an end grain log but I appreciate the offer ;)
I went wild on the back of the slice with ct1
46ccc98becced40b967e3cae5ab40552.jpg

Then cut in a sheet of Tricoya in the back.
Just checked the cracks earlier and they've grown a bit
a496a6dfa784d100b2c5a3c4fc056b11.jpg

Thanks for all your help. You've given me a new burst of enthusiasm as well as saving me alot of money wasting glow in the dark powder that would be buried deep anyway. I'll stop hijacking your thread now lol.
In a Columbo style ' just one more thing' how did you get the resin to look brown ? I'm kinda torn whether I should have it naturally looking, or inject some colour/wackyness into it.
Cheers
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

[face palm] Of course, end grain, sorry, being a numpty.

It dries crystal clear, so it picks up the colour of the surrounding wood I suppose, unless you add the glow in the dark dye of course.

O.k that makes sense thanks. Final few questions -I promise ! Do I need to leave the resin heaped up alot, does it shrink much? How long did you leave it before planing/sanding the resin off ?
I feel like you've pretty much finished the job for me now:)
Cheers

Coley

ColeyS1":38udbf1l said:
O.k that makes sense thanks. Final few questions -I promise ! Do I need to leave the resin heaped up alot, does it shrink much? How long did you leave it before planing/sanding the resin off ?
I feel like you've pretty much finished the job for me now:)
Cheers

Coley

Imagine trying to heap water :) - ok, it's a little but thicker than that, but it's not as thick as syrup, so you can try, but it'll find a level with a bit of coaxing. Don't think it shrinks, seems to go off to the touch within around 4 hours (depends on temp) but is fully set in 24 hours or so I think? I'd leave it a little longer before sanding it. I've not cut the shell off this top yet and that's been setting since Friday - I'd hate to hit a pocket of gloop with my track saw.

Use good tape, and make sure you've got all the holes.

Back