What Wood & How to Cut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rewound

Established Member
Reaction score
Two Questions

Anyone identify this wood, when cut it looks orange, however I guess it will revert to that dark colour on the uncut bit after a month or two. For contrast I layed it upon a bit of Walnut inlayed into some pine. (just wanted to show off my inlay - LOL)
xWW.jpg

And second question -

I am wanting to take some 2mm strips from this bit of Cherry for inlaying purposes , Which direction would be the best to cut it , A or B ?

xWWc.jpg

Anyone identify this wood, when cut it looks orange, however I guess it will revert to that dark colour on the uncut bit after a month or two.
I suggest 'Padauk' - I've used it quite a bit and not found it to revert to the 'brown' - I do (naturally) use sanding sealer and MC Wax as a finish - specifically I made some Christmas Cruet sets using it for the Father Christmas 'Hat' some three years ago and they still retain their deep Orange/Red.

One of my current projects is a Clock - - - and the centre section of the face is Padauk.
Reuleaux Face.png

Agree with the Padauk ID.
As to cutting direction B will be quarter sawn and more stable. Direction A will show more grain pattern. If you planed the already split faces it will give a preview of what to expect cutting either way.
Regards
John

I suggest 'Padauk' - I've used it quite a bit and not found it to revert to the 'brown' - I do (naturally) use sanding sealer and MC Wax as a finish - specifically I made some Christmas Cruet sets using it for the Father Christmas 'Hat' some three years ago and they still retain their deep Orange/Red.
Thanks for that, I was thinking Padauk too, so great to get some confirmation, esp from someone who has used it. And what a lovely job of that clock face you're making!

Is it just that fast drying celulose based sanding sealer that you are using ? I guess application as soon as sanding is finished is important to retaining colour ?

Thanks for that, I was thinking Padauk too, so great to get some confirmation, esp from someone who has used it. And what a lovely job of that clock face you're making!

Is it just that fast drying celulose based sanding sealer that you are using ? I guess application as soon as sanding is finished is important to retaining colour ?
Thanks @Rewound - Yes the Chestnut SS, though I'm not too precious about the timing :) I tend to go through the grits up to 240 then apply a 'grain filler' - you'll notice that the grain on Padauk is quite open (it's one of the 'tell-tale' signs) and since I've not come across 'Padauk Grain Filler' I use a 'Mahogany'. This is left to dry (24 hours usually) then more sanding to 400 grit when it gets a coat of Sealer another light sanding at 400, and a second coat and sanding to 600. That is usually sufficient but I have been known to 'go again'. The final abrasion is 0000 wire wool.

One thing that you should be aware of is that it does tend to 'bleed' - - - on the clock face the grain on the Spalted Birch has been contaminated with red so choice of mating woods needs to be considered.

Two Questions

Anyone identify this wood, when cut it looks orange, however I guess it will revert to that dark colour on the uncut bit after a month or two. For contrast I layed it upon a bit of Walnut inlayed into some pine. (just wanted to show off my inlay - LOL)
xWW.jpg

And second question -

I am wanting to take some 2mm strips from this bit of Cherry for inlaying purposes , Which direction would be the best to cut it , A or B ?

xWWc.jpg
If you cut in the direction of A the pieces will warp as the growth rings will try to straighten themselves, so the best way to achieve stable timber is to cut in the direction of B

If you are only cutting 2mm thickness for inlays and gluing onto a good substrate then the issue of warping doesnt really factor. So A will give you a crown cut and B will give you quarter sawn. You could plane the surfaces at 90 degrees and then take alternating cuts of A and then B so you will get a mix

I'll also offer to confirm Padauk having used in over 32 years ago in producing Falconry blocks. Turns nicely except for the red dust everywhere. I still have a couple of unused pieces from back then. Unfortunately I can't at this time upload any photos.

padauk +1, watch out for the sawdust it's nasty to work with, I am sensitised to it, wear a mask.

Back