What might this be? ... I do know, but do you?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was on display at Carlton Scroop Tool event on Saturday. I asked what it was, to be told it was a Lark Attractor.
Naturally I thought the guys were winding me up, so I made it my mission to find out what it really is..... It is in fact.... A Lark Attractor!
Lark lure is the one that trips of the tongue more easily.
The larks are drawn to the flashing reflections from the reflective discs let into the timber.
By the way this wasn't mine, my display was by the door , did we speak at all mc281 ?

Last edited:
Lark lure is the one that trips of the tongue more easily.
The larks are drawn to the flashing reflections from the reflective discs let into the timber.
By the way this wasn't mine, my display was by the door , did we speak at all mc281 ?
Apparently the one at Scroopy was of French, origin, so I guess anyone who eats Frog's legs will find a use for Larks Tongues too.
I understand that the little mirrors reflect the sunlight and yes the hunter (?) hides in a bush or hedge and works the string. The one in the video is spun like a horizontal Yo-Yo it seems.

Human ingenuity never ceases to amaze and scare me! How on earth did someone work out that flashing mirrors would attract birds?

On second thoughts.. best not go there

I remember seeing tinned songbirds in a shop in France years ago. But that’s the French for you.
I suppose it’s no different to tinned sardines but you wouldn’t get me eating them thank you very much.

As a child my dad used to go to his uncle in the mountains. I believe they used to keep songbirds in tiny cages in the dark. When they brought them out they would sing like mad. A tree was constructed and covered in glue. They would collect the birds, pinching the heads to kill them. Something like that anyway. Nets too I believe. It wasn't a delicacy, they were poor and it was a source of food.

OK, I'll bite - and show my igerence in the process no doubt :dunno:

Assuming the lark is the little birdie we all know of, how on earth does that thing attract them/scare them away? :confused:

Does someone have to stand there pulling the string so that the head wizzes round?? If so how do we know that it's not the person standing there frightening the larks away and not the head spinning round?? And why do we want to frighten larks away anyway? OR attract them?

("Puzzled of Tunbridge Wells") :p
I thought it's double 'g' in - 'iggerence'! :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back