What might this be? ... I do know, but do you?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mc281

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
1000082331.jpg

Looks very much like a display of stuff at Carlton Scroop, was it?
I know as well but won't spoil the quiz....
I will say "fatal attraction" though
Cheers, Andy

Any chance it could be two tools made into one. When you look at the top handle it looks to me as it would be very easy to snap the top of the small diameter shaft that enters into it.

Colin

Something to do with wine - though for the life of me I cannot guess what,
Are those lead inserts in the arched top to give it a bit more weight?

I know what it is - though I suspect it might now be illegal to use, and I prefer to listen to Vaughan Williams anyway ;)

I would have said a dibber for planting bulbs etc but the handle looks odd. Nice corkscrew as well.

the section with lead inserts look very similar to components in a piano action. But possibly someone who has dismantled a piano repurposing the hammer action?
Stuart

It was on display at Carlton Scroop Tool event on Saturday. I asked what it was, to be told it was a Lark Attractor.
Naturally I thought the guys were winding me up, so I made it my mission to find out what it really is..... It is in fact.... A Lark Attractor!

OK, I'll bite - and show my igerence in the process no doubt :dunno:

Assuming the lark is the little birdie we all know of, how on earth does that thing attract them/scare them away? :confused:

Does someone have to stand there pulling the string so that the head wizzes round?? If so how do we know that it's not the person standing there frightening the larks away and not the head spinning round?? And why do we want to frighten larks away anyway? OR attract them?

("Puzzled of Tunbridge Wells") :p

OK, I'll bite - and show my igerence in the process no doubt :dunno:

Assuming the lark is the little birdie we all know of, how on earth does that thing attract them/scare them away? :confused:

Does someone have to stand there pulling the string so that the head wizzes round?? If so how do we know that it's not the person standing there frightening the larks away and not the head spinning round?? And why do we want to frighten larks away anyway? OR attract them?

("Puzzled of Tunbridge Wells") :p
Used along with sticky stuff on branches.

Errrr??? (OK, so I AM ignorant)! I thought it was four and twenty blackbirds - not larks - baked in a pie. Why do we want to attract larks to branches - presumably employing the sticky stuff to stick the larks to the branches??

Either I've completely lost it (it's not 1st April is it?) or you lot are having me on! :dunno:

Errrr??? (OK, so I AM ignorant)! I thought it was four and twenty blackbirds - not larks - baked in a pie. Why do we want to attract larks to branches - presumably employing the sticky stuff to stick the larks to the branches??

Either I've completely lost it (it's not 1st April is it?) or you lot are having me on! :dunno:
Larks were also used as a pie filling and a lot of other dishes as well. One dish involved grinding the bones up in a pestle. Doubtless there are YouTube videos telling you how to cook them. Of course you can’t do that in the U.K. any more.

Wiki even has an entry https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lar...nsumed with bones,highly valued as a delicacy.

Back