What did you do in your workshop today ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No workshop, but I have a lot of two to three inch thick oak slabs that used to be worktops, and quite a bit of inch and a half thick sapele. I follow a lot of woodcarvers on instagram and I've been inspired to get back in to making utensils and general stuff that can be used around the home so I sat on the patio yesterday with a hammer and several chisels slowly making dents in a chunk of sapele that will hopefully become some sort of serving platter or tray.

Bit wet today, so the patio has turned in to the living room floor with henry hoover in arm's reach.

Not a lot of woodworking done lately, doing lots of other stuff, concrete and metal and garden stuff. I did make this to make it easier on the shop vac when grinding concrete:
35522783886_fd1176607b_b.jpg

On the weekend just gone, I had a very boring job in the workshop - finishing and hanging some bought pine doors.

Next weekend I plan to actually make something.

Opened up the guest bedroom today and found this:

Bees.jpg

But in the workshop I did do some work and sprayed the wardrobe doors I made earlier:

Doors 2.jpg

Doors 1.jpg

Just have to wait 12 hours to turn them over and finish the other side.

Mike

Attachments

• Bees.jpg
    Bees.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 246
  • Doors 2.jpg
    Doors 2.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 246
  • Doors 1.jpg
    Doors 1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 246
Finally got time to clean up the shavings after making the desk shelf (work. Insanity. Fires. Spiders. Don't ask)
In related news, found six lost clamps... :eek:

Also glued eleven roof sound deadening foam tiles back on; seems the spray-on glue doesn't like long exposure to the fumes when you shellac something.

Well, today I made a big step on the first 'thing' (as opposed to practice cuts/ joints/ storage and things) - I planed back the joints on the jewellery box I'm making for my daughter.
IMG_1147.jpg

The photo makes it look much better than it really is - there's lots of glue and sawdust in the gaps, bruises and so on. I reached a point when I was glueing up when I thought I'd just treat this as a dry run and do a better one for her, but then I thought it'd be nice to just make the best of it that I can, and it'll be a memory of when dad was learning to work with wood.

I've been enjoying fiddling with wood and trying joints, learning to plane a bit, learning to use my new bandsaw. But the joy of planing back the joints, however bad they are, I can't describe! The wood in this (still unfinished) box came from B&Q, I had to resaw it to thickness, plane away the saw marks, and the joints are some hand sawn and chiseled, some bandsaw cut and chiseled.

Oh, and I bought 2 second hand Record 135 sash clamps for £25 yesterday and made a couple of shelves to store my lovely new 5 1/2 plane and my dad's old 4 plane.

Thanks to all for your advice on the bandsaw and the planes - I'm loving using them! This site is so helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_1147.jpg
    IMG_1147.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 224
MikeJhn":2mmn2ckr said:
Opened up the guest bedroom today and found this:

Mike

A local beekeeper will be grateful for that- doesn't look too bad to collect, depending on height. They won't survive in the elements, so might be worth a call to the local beekeepers association sooner rather than later.

I am afraid its two story's up, once we opened the shutters, they left of their own accord and swarmed into the fig tree on the other side of the drive, woke in the morning they where gone.

Mike

Rescued this from the workshop window cill this evening:

Glow worm.jpg

I wish I was a glow worm.
A glow worm's never glum
How can you be unhappy
When the sun shines out your bum.

Mike

Attachments

• Glow worm.jpg
    Glow worm.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 139
MikeJhn":2bo7kixv said:

A glow worm's never glum
How can you be unhappy

Mike

:lol: :lol: :lol:

MikeJhn":2k29mqnx said:

A glow worm's never glum
How can you be unhappy

Mike

Fantastic - what's the French for glow worm? Cheers, W2S

Sprayed another four wardrobe doors, will it ever end. (hammer) OH is now talking about the utility and downstairs loo doors needing a lick of paint. :roll:

Mike

Get the OH to do the prep work. You'll either never be "asked" to do it again or you'll get the job done in record time :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wouldn't work I'm afraid, OH normally does all the internal decorating. #-o

Mike

This week/today I've been working on this camper conversion. Aiming to have it at least completed enough to sleep ion for a trip to France by August. First coat of paint has gone on today as well as some various tidying up of panelling etc. I'm not aiming for it to be the most exquisite piece of craftsmanship, but it's difficult stop focussing on details sometimes. All in all it's great to be back at my bench.

rca91Bv.jpg

KyN1FJk.jpg

Suddenly I find my workshop fat too small. It's completely full of our new glasshouse. Be glad to start assembly so I can have a bit of room back

Attachments

• IMG_0060.JPG
    IMG_0060.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 231
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back