what are the best makes of old hand tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunggaur

Established Member
Reaction score
high all i keep looking round car boots for different bits and bob for the work shop planes, chisels, etc. and i see a lot of different names and makes.

has any one compiled a definitive list of the best old tool to look out for

many thanks

jon

I assume you are looking for user tools.

There must be something like hundreds of past tool brands in circulation. For example in Sheffield alone was a large number of them already. Of those pieces of old Sheffield steel I have, there's never been anything to complain about, they've all been from good to very good. And if someone has ruined the temper of the steel with some angle grinder etc, it can be revived back to business with reasonably simple DIY methods.

I myself tend to employ mainly my old Swedish and Finnish irons. I'm used to them. Erik Anton Berg, Rosenfors, Gransfors Bruk, Kellokoski, Hackman Sorsakoski, Billnas and Fiskars are my user brands for woodworking. They made plane irons, chisels, axes, knives, hammers and other hand tools. Carbon steel (plain or low alloyed) is my main thing (whereas HSS-Co is the other). Finnish brands seem to be quite rare outside Finland, but those Swedes seem to be sometimes available from various sources.

Samu

For chisels and gouges anything marked "cast steel" is likely to be a good starting point. For carving tools Addis are generally reckoned to be some of the best and can be found - snap them up.

For planes, you will overwhelmingly find Stanley and Record. most other brands are likely to be cheap copies and are best avoided. Stanley and Record also had their cheap ranges usually characterised by shoddy pressed steel fittings - avoid these. With these brands generally, the older the better - as the diy market grew, quality declined. Take a straight edge with you and check that soles are flat. They can be flattened but this is hard work and very difficult if the sole is convex along its length. Also chek for cracked castings which are not economically repairable.

Good luck.

Jim

Hi Jon

First...let me repeat the magic formula...

Get there when it opens no matter how early that is (6am here)

Dealers will be looking for the ones you are looking for so you need to beat them to it.

For chisels I agree with yetloh....anything with "cast steel" on it should serve you well...I happen to prefer the older ones...the older the better...

This old Marples "Hibernia" is a good example...

DSC_0075.JPG

Old Sorbys are good....Ward....etc.

Basically...you will be able to feel the steel is good after a while...don't worry about surface rust...that's part of the fun.

If you are going for Records (preferred) or Stanleys, look for old ones...learn how to recognise these by looking at sites like Blood and Gore or dating Record Planes

Saws are mostly pointless at bootfairs IMHO....they are usually knackered as are files and rasps but you occasionally get a nice old one or Swedish file/rasp that is worth having.

Technical tools such as squares and calipers are easy to find and really expensive ones are cheap because everyone wants digital this and digital that...here are some gems:

DSC_0008.JPG

Lastly...get your hands dirty...most dealers don't dig too far in boxes of crud...and I bought this little baby for a mere 20p....

iginfillgen1.jpg

It was in the bottom of a box full of trashed tools...

Good luck....and stay out of Kent! :D :D :wink:

Jim

Back