Western red cedar and spax wirox screws.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petertheeater

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All. I have some WRC fencing to install - slats 20mm by 40mm. Theres quite a lot of it and some of it will be in quite a high position.
Having recently installed some slats to a garden studio I found nailing the Stainless Steel nails in a bit of a faff and then going around punching them all in again. So I was thinking of options. I might also add that the client is fussy and will be looking for nice neat holes in line at least initially.

a). a first fix nail Paslode with stainless steel D nails.
b). Spax Stainless steel decking screws.
c). Spax wirox screws - not stainless but have a 15 year no rust guarantee.

a). I think might be overkill and difficult to be exact, Costly.
b). I like the screws but again costly.
c). I really like these screws. I've used them on decking and internal cladding where they were visible but will they stain the Cedar as they are not S/S.

To some, all this screwing might seem over the top but I'm thinking all this banging nails into posts, some of it quite high up takes some effort and a not inconsiderable amount of time.
I'm erring on the Wirox screw side if they wont stain too early.
Thoughts appreciated.
Thanks

Is that a typo, or are the slats really 20x 40?
Using no split stainless nails was recommended to me, don't know if they're still available. but my customer wasn't overly fussy, white chalkomatic, lines and nail, nail, nail.
It's been ages since I used W R Cedar, About 2 miles away, back in July, and August, a WR Cedar shingled roof was replaced, just off the stack, light, medium and dark every where!
The sun has bleached it quite well since, but when it rains, the colour variation is so different.
I hope you're man isn't that fussy!
Regards Rodders

I have used the screw fix turbo ultra a few years ago, they were nice and sharp but a touch brittle - I would use them again but only where I can get really square on when driving them.

Not sure how accurate you will be with the passy, will the nose leave unwanted marks on the wood??

If your using the non stainless spax screws I wonder if it's worth using wera's stainless driver bits to prevent any contamination in the screw heads and rust problems in the future?? - that's speculation, I don't have experience of that.

Fwiw

Don't use D head nails!
It drives me crazy when I set that when you can get full head nailers....

I use stainless steel nails in a coil nailer... Set do that the heads are left a little proud and finished with a hammer...

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Back