Western Red Ceda

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeJhn

Grunkel
Reaction score
Guys

A WRC in my woods has lost the top 8M in a storm last March I presume as I have only just found it, once I have lopped and dragged it out, should I bulk it up now or wait until its seasoned for a while?

Mike

I get my wrc from saw mill with the water running out of it
my shed is built from it
it "spat" at me as i was nailing
still there and no movement i can see after 4 yrs

Steve

Steve

Thanks for the reply, have to admit the two story shed made out of WRC you saw when you came to give me with the mahogany offcuts was kiln dried and very stable, so its good to hear that its as equally stable when green, maybe I just need to knuckle down and get it cut into manageable bits.

Mike

it may take you a while to work that lot
i think it needs to be put in stick once cut ( or put to use)
I left some in my van for a hot day
the interior roof of van was soaked to the point of grabbing towels and wringing out
my timbers were mainly 2 x 4
i did have a couple of featherboards split after a while but I think that was due to having too small pilot hole for movement

Steve

That's what I thought especially as its about 500mm dia for the most part, may be a job for a saw mill.

Mike

Steve

Thanks for the offer, but I think transporting it to the UK may be a bit of a problem. LOL

Mike

Thought someone may like to see where it had come from, fell a long way and took a lot of other branches with it:

DSC01431.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• DSC01431.jpg
    DSC01431.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 93
For all you timber pest guru's do you know what this is the nest of, no cheating and looking it up on Google:

DSC01433.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• DSC01433.jpg
    DSC01433.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 93
Processionary caterpillar.

I heard about it when researching taking my dog to Brittany, although It dont think it is around the North, mostly South and across Spain.

What I read about it was horrendous! -deadly to dogs if the spines get in tbeir mouth or tongue and very bad for people.

Im thinking of going to somewhere inland from La Rochelle, Cognac area in the Autumn, do they have it around there?

Obviously better known than I thought, as far as I know it is not deadly to dogs or humans, but can be an intense irritant that needs care or even medical attention if not taken notice of, I am in the Dordogne and its moving North, time to get out the flame thrower I think.

Mike

If all that is true, why aren't the government in Spain and France and anywhere else they are doing something about it, I will go to see our Mayor tomorrow and ask her what she propose's to do about the half dozen nest I have in our woodland.

Mike

Hi Mike,

From the picture it looks like you have a species of pine there, not western red cedar.

All the best,
David

Hi David

The procession moth nests are as you say in a species of pine, but from what I can gather from the bark and spread of the tree that snapped off at the top it looks to me like a WRC, but I am more than willing to be corrected.

DSC01434.jpg

Mike

Attachments

• DSC01434.jpg
    DSC01434.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 21
The procession moth's had to go, I found six nest in the end, but taking everyone's warnings of the consequence's of coming in contact with the spines I decided that discretion being the better part of valour, i would dress the part.

Butane torch at the ready.

Look out now here I come, you can't hide.

Mike

IMGP7017.jpg

Attachments

• IMGP7017.jpg
    IMGP7017.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 17
Back