Well oil be .......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus3049

Established Member
Reaction score
... annoyed.

As I'm changing over to oil finishes I thought I'd try it on a bit of yew for the first time.

NO NO NO :shock: (hammer) #-o :roll: :oops: :-&

Talk about dull as ditchwater. OK, I know walnut oil is slightly coloured but I didn't expect mud coloured. It looks far worse in the flesh!!

Back to lacquer on yew I think.

But.... any oils that are really clear available that would work on yew? I suspect I will probably stick to gloss on this though as it looks so nice. All the fruitwood and elm I've tried the oil on look superb so I guess its horses for courses.

Attachments

• 100_2614.jpg
    100_2614.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 818
one of the first bowls i made was from a big branchy (technical term!) lump of yew and it now has pride of place in a neighbours lounge. cant remember which oil i used but oil it was cos its all i had but it would of been liberon finishing oil or danish oil,

i would recommend
chestnut finishing oil does darken the wood a little but i think it deepens the orange colour and makes it far richer
the first coat doesn't look anything special but if you have patience 3-4 coats of 24 hour drying in-between gives a smooth, glossy finish that is easily touched up
it is a slow process so i only use it on projects that call out for a super shine.
most projects i just use laquer

mike s":36f65zab said:
i would recommend
chestnut finishing oil does darken the wood a little but i think it deepens the orange colour and makes it far richer
the first coat doesn't look anything special but if you have patience 3-4 coats of 24 hour drying in-between gives a smooth, glossy finish that is easily touched up
it is a slow process so i only use it on projects that call out for a super shine.
most projects i just use laquer

Thanks Mike,

One of my problems is supplies out here. None of the liquids can be posted because of restrictions and its anybody's guess where stuff is available in France.

This is one of the reasons I have swapped to oil, quite apart from the appearance angle. walnut oil is everywhere as this area is full of nut orchards. I have some ACL but a) its hugely expensive and b) I have to pay a carrier to bring it out or wait for friends and family. The same would apply to Chestnut products.

nev":36f65zab said:
one of the first bowls i made was from a big branchy (technical term!) lump of yew and it now has pride of place in a neighbours lounge. cant remember which oil i used but oil it was cos its all i had but it would of been liberon finishing oil or danish oil,

Same applies to this I suspect Nev but I'll look around.

Carnuba wax works very well on yew but can be difficult to get a good even finish. When you do it's unsurpassed.

If you can use a buffing system such as Chestnut or Beall then it really finishes well. Can't get inside small things though.

myturn":222u0blf said:
Carnuba wax works very well on yew but can be difficult to get a good even finish. When you do it's unsurpassed.

If you can use a buffing system such as Chestnut or Beall then it really finishes well. Can't get inside small things though.

Thanks Mick,

I'm working on a polishing system. The chief accountant suggests that it may have to be built rather than purchased though :(

colin macdiarmid":3c7vn401 said:
Hi if you go to this link for my website both yew clocks are finished with rustins danish oil
http://turnedwoodcraft.co.uk/Gallery4.aspx

hope this helps

Thanks Colin,

We are going to have to do something about products in France. Knowing all the technical terms is one of the great difficulties with the language, so knowing exactly what to ask for does have its problems.

gus3049":1xy8590v said:
myturn":1xy8590v said:

Thanks Mick,

I'm working on a polishing system. The chief accountant suggests that it may have to be built rather than purchased though :(
Since I got the Chestnut system it's made such a difference when I want a shiny finish, things come out feeling like glass and with so much more depth to them. Invest in one and you won't regret it, it's only 50 quid!

There are a couple of stockists of Chestnut products in France, I don't know where abouts or the level of products but an e-mail to Terry [email protected] should bring forth some information. I'll give a bit of Yew a wipe with The hard Wax finishing oil asap and see how much that changes the colour, usually gives a good sheen after a couple of coats.

Danish oil on yew is good after a couple of coats!

A buffng system :shock: That's nearly as bad as missing '''''''s, only that don't cost nuffin?

Perhapse a Liberon polishing stick would be a good choice. I always have one in the pocket of my turning smock and for once I am being serious G. Not quite sure how you will get the finish on the wings of that vase. Perhapse some Record 'Speed an ease' would be good, because you can put that on with the piece stationary and hand buff it to a good finish. You can get it here from Record Power Fr. If you are interested then just ask.

It is a finish that I had with my first Record lathe 15 years back and I like it!!

myturn":3s63wxkq said:
..... Can't get inside small things though.

The small Domed Mops now available as accessories for the Chestnut system will go inside a 60mm opening but I guess it's a case of adapting other available sources if you want something smaller.

gus3049":31t16q0h said:
One of my problems is supplies out here. None of the liquids can be posted because of restrictions and its anybody's guess where stuff is available in France.

so (apart from walnut oil) what do French wood-turners use then? do i spy a business opportunity here, or do the postal restrictions apply to domestic as well as international post?

i would have thought you could get Liberon products in France, after all its mentioned in the national motto isnt it? :)

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.php? ... 28LIGHT%29

Read the blurb, about 2/3rds down a mention of yew. I have used it ever since I started turning and I like it an have used it on yew. It's good.

Record Power France do it too. Phone no. 03.86.26.82.50. and speak to Patrice. Il parle Anglais!! I'm phoning him this afternoon after catching him a couple of hours before he went on holiday 3 weeks back... The French really do like their August off :wink: :!:

Back