Water and dish soap on Arkansas stone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_SAMa

Established Member
Reaction score
Quick question, can I use water + dish soap on Arkansas or for that matter, any other oil stones (man made or natural) that have not been used with oil previously?
Got some of those tiny Arkansas slip stones and want to use the same liquid I use on my diamond stones for sake of being consistent.
BTW I use a very, very soap heavy mixture, probably something like 1 part soap in 10-15 parts water. Does that hurt the stone?

No of course it won't. If it won't harm your skin, or your clothes etc, it's hardly likely to hurt stone.

J_SAMa":29s0ecaz said:
Quick question, can I use water + dish soap on Arkansas or for that matter, any other oil stones (man made or natural) that have not been used with oil previously?
Got some of those tiny Arkansas slip stones and want to use the same liquid I use on my diamond stones for sake of being consistent.
BTW I use a very, very soap heavy mixture, probably something like 1 part soap in 10-15 parts water. Does that hurt the stone?

Some stones are pre filled (literally) with oil, so using a strong detergent would remove that, which may or may not be your intention.

BugBear

J_SAMa":1ra5nwkx said:

You could always use oil on your diamond stones. Plenty of us do and it works well (better than water or water and soap in my experience).

Cheers :wink:

Paul

bugbear":2rglq22i said:
J_SAMa":2rglq22i said:

Some stones are pre filled (literally) with oil, so using a strong detergent would remove that, which may or may not be your intention.

BugBear

Note that those stones are all manmade. All natural stones and most manmade ones are safe with water/detergent. Also note that some stones that are safe with detergent don't necessarily perform well with it. Surgical black seems to glaze a bit faster with water/detergent than with oil.

Thanks for the input, will stick to soapy water now as I don't like oil on diamond. Slows it down quite a bit which defeats the point of a diamond stone, for me at least.

Back