was it me or the wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst producing this months challenge masterpieces 8) , i came across a slight issue when using the skew to 'plane' my cylinder sides nice and smooth.
on two out of the three roughed cylinders, i came across a small thumb nail sized section that i just could not smooth. it just kept 'peeling', almost as if i had used an axe down the side of the cylinder.
i got passed it in the end by roughing and sanding the affected section then continue as normal.

is this down to my tooling angle (about 45*) , sharpness? (i do get good long shavings from angel hair to streamers) or a characteristic of certain branches?
They were yew branches approx 3" dia. when roughed.

So, is it me or the wood? :?

Nev

Its probably the wood

You do get anomaly's like this with different types of wood , maybe at the point of a branch intersection ?

Its out job as woodworkers to work around these issues . as you have done :wink:

Happens all the time with yew I find, even more with elm. I usually soak the offending area in superglue. It usually machines OK after that. One of the problems with doing this of course, is that there is a chance of a colour patch problem where the glue is. Usually OK though.

Hi Nev , reading your problems with the piece brought back memories ,I wish I was having problems like that again . :( :(

Good luck with yew weed pots. :lol: :lol:

how are you Eugene- did you do any research into scroll sawing?

marcros":7bcc6p38 said:

Good of you to ask Mark? I gave it a good deal of thought but it would mean having to work out of the shed again and I just would not be able to do that .

So I have been gathering all the paraphernalia I can find on Pyrography as I could do this in the house or should I say attempt to do it . :roll: :roll:

Sorry for the hi-jack Nev.

marcros":1o2iry4m said:

Good of you to ask Mark? I gave it a good deal of thought but it would mean having to work out of the shed again and I just would not be able to do that .

So I have been gathering all the paraphernalia I can find on Pyrography as I could do this in the house or should I say attempt to do it . :roll: :roll:

marcros":1qdejsog said:

Latest posts

Back