Wanted no more band saw picked up today - pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironballs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm in the market for a new band saw, well, replacement can be new or used. I've parted company with my faithful Axminster AWSBS2 as I need something bigger - need at least twice the depth of cut.

I'm prepared to spend a reasonable sum of cash to get the quality and the right machine, perhaps my biggest limitation is that it needs to be single phase running off a 13A circuit.

If anyone has or knows of a saw that fits the bill (like a Startrite 352, Elektra Beckum or Record 350 for example) then please get in touch. Even though my old one has only just gone I'm already missing it for the versatility a bandsaw offers - shouldn't have sold it before I'd got the replacement should I :roll:

Cheers

Damian

Damian

Don't be too eager to dismiss getting one that needs a 16A supply as it's not that difficult to put in (usually). It would then broaden your choice.

Roger

Damian - same here, I'll need a bigger doc and the machine needs to run off a 13A ring main. The one I've been considering is this one which has a 280mm doc and a slow start motor, the blurb says that it's designed to run off a 13A socket - Rob

I have the Axminster 4300 bandsaw and run it ok off a 13A socket (though the lights dim a bit when I start it up...)

Couldn't be more pleased with it.

Does anyone have the one that Rob linked to? (Axminster AWHBS450N) I'd be very interested to hear any opinions on it (and to see some photos - not much to go on from the Axminster site!)

Cheers,
Neil

Interesting choice that one Rob and I hadn't noticed it on my trawls, isn't it the one that Ed bought or did he go the next step up?

There's a couple of Startrite 352s on the 'bay at the moment. One at a sensible starting price (£150) and one not (£2 or 300). For a price in the £150 to £250 range, I'd say they are unbeatable. But I'm just a happy owner.

Yeah I've seen those and one is in Batley which is halfway between me and work, so quite tempted. Sod's law though, I never ever get to see any of the alleged machinery bargains on ebay, any I'm interested in go for top money

Think the other was in Liverpool, so if I can get a van with Ferret APC outrider then I should be okay :wink:

Ironballs":3epd8g2k said:
Interesting choice that one Rob and I hadn't noticed it on my trawls, isn't it the one that Ed bought or did he go the next step up?

No mine was the AP-5300, which is quite a bit bigger. As it happens, the one shown wasn't on offer when I bought mine, I think even if it had been I would stick with the one I got as its superb (gone up quite a lot since I bought in the pre-price rise with 10% off though).

700353_xl.jpg

Cheers, Ed

Ah yes, yours was a big one Ed. So to speak.

Sods law has applied again, of those saws on ebay the one nearest me has the fiercest bidding and is at a fair price already

I got fed up with watching silly prices on ebay and got a 5300 which was very good value (esp before last 2 increases!) Will fully tension a 1" bimetal blade and rip without lead.

I'm also in the market for a new bandsaw soon, I like the look of both of the axminster ones, but I'm also only on a 13A supply. What I'd like to know is, I'm after one that will cut green oak 220mm wide, so I can make my own book marked panels.. will either of these two rip a piece like that with a good blade?

Are you saying you need a depth of cut of 220mm? If so then yes both of those will easily do it with a good blade, just go slow. I've bookmatch sawn up to capacity on my old 120mm bandsaw with hardwood

yes I need a depth cut of 220 plus, I had a Scheppach BASATO 4 , which I thought was rubbish, it could just about cut 150mm of green oak very slowly. wasn't inpressed at all with it. I need to rip oak sleepers down, for the work I do..

For this sort of work the choice of blade is important, I have now reached the end of my knowledge :oops: as I have never ripped green oak, but I am sure someone who has will be along soon. :D

What was it I said about sods law, I was watching one saw on fleabay and it went for over 400 quid despite having no fence, had a bid in on another but it was local and that one has been withdrawn from sale. Damn it :x

After watching yet more decent old saws go for north of 5-600 quid on fleabay I followed up a lead that the ever vigilant OPJ gave me, where some chap was selling an oldish Minimax saw over the border in Wales.

After a chat on the phone it sounded good and went to pick it up today, great saw in great condition, the only downside being that it weighed 150kg :shock:

All in spent about 2 hours over at this guys house milling round his sheds looking at his frankly awesome stash of wood, his guitar collection and his several part built Les Pauls - he also builds guitars. Fantastic.

So thanks Olly for the tip, I'll put a gloatage pic up later.

Like Richard,
I have a Axminster 4300 which will cut 12" and a bit under the guides, maximum cutting width is 16" without the fence 14" with. With a 2 hp motor.
I got it second hand for £482.00 which I thought, (and still do) was a very good price.
These type of bandsaw do come up on fleabay occasionally and at auctions. So I think it's a matter of keeping an eye out at these places.

PS The guy delivered it to me for a drink :lol: :lol: (157kg which is damn heavy)

John. B

Well here it is, big, heavy and a bit of a beast

lespaul008.jpg

Even with the old blade it has on it currently it makes short work of thick hardwoods, including the big block shown below. In fact the chap gave me that block and the yew log next to it, like I said he was a great bloke and I could have spent all day chatting and playing in his shop

timber.jpg

Latest posts

Back